Chapter 22

"This is just perfect," I fumed, pacing across Stefan's bedroom as he sat on the edge of his bed to listen to me rant. "Not only is Silas awake, but he's followed you back to Mystic Falls where it sounds like he should be up to his full strength with the startling amount of blood banks that have been wiped out; which, by the way, no one felt the need to tell me about."

"It's not like other things haven't been going on around here," Stefan replied in a tired voice. "Besides, you weren't exactly around or necessarily of sound mind."

"Oh for the love of- to hell with my well being, no one in this town really cares anyway."

"That's not true," Stefan said.

I paused to give him a slightly startled look, still not use to this openly friendly side of him. "Well, whatever. From now on I want status reports, updates of everyone's whereabouts and intentions for the day. I understand I tried to kill Elena and that no one probably really wants anything to do with me, and I can accept that that one was slightly my fault. I'm also aware that I was on self-acclaimed house arrest for the last few days but you lot have got to start filling me in when weird things are happening because it seems like every time that I turn around you're getting into some kind of trouble or going after things that no one fully understands and it has got to stop. Just send me a quick text message, even a phone call, anything! It was one thing to have your little fantasies about finding the Cure back when it was more of a theory, even though I wasn't a fan of that either, but now that Silas is out and running around who-knows-where, this has gone ten steps past too far. I can't believe that I even let this all happen, it's just so-"

I was suddenly cut off when Stefan abruptly got up from the bed, strode over to where I was in my pacing line, placed his hands on either side of my face and pulled me into a kiss. It surprised me so much I didn't even kiss him back for a few moments. Before long he pulled away but kept his hands on me.

"Wha-?" was all I could get out.

"To get you to shut up," he said bluntly, answering my unfinished question.

"Hey!" I protested, pulling out of his grasp. "This isn't funny! We need to.... we have to... what was I saying before?"

Stefan chuckled and took a step closer to me and placed his hands on my shoulders. "I know it's not funny, but you're saying things that aren't going to help us now. What we need to do is get a good night's sleep so that we can tackle this first thing in the morning when we're alert and well rested."

"Sleep?" I said in disbelief. "How on earth can you think about sleep right now when we know that Silas is out there?"

"Just like I did the night before, before I knew he was out there. Aside from blood banks being robbed nothing else is happening. No towns are burning down, there's no mass murders or anything. What we need to do is sit down," as he said this he brought me over to the side of the bed and pushed on my shoulders until I sunk onto the bed, "calm ourselves, and think of a clear plan of action."

"Yes, exactly!" I said, jumping back up, but was instantly tugged back down by Stefan.

"Tomorrow." he clarified.

Logically, I knew that he was right. I was running on adrenaline right now and my mind was going a mile a minute. I didn't want to sleep until Silas was found and taken care of, however we were going to manage that, but I knew it wasn't plausible. "How are you so calm right now?" I asked Stefan.

A sly smile appeared on his lips. "I guess that after dealing so much with Katherine and your family, I've learned to take these kind of situations in stride in the last year." I couldn't help but give a slightly sheepish smile in return. "What I don't understand," he continued, "is why you're so worked up about it."