Chapter 14

I woke the next morning to shouting from upstairs. "Ughhh.." I groaned as I flipped over and put my pillow over my head. I tried ignoring them and going back to sleep but the rest of the house was so quiet it was difficult not to overhear. Of course, it was between Damon and Stefan and about the one thing both of their worlds revolve around: Elena.

The arguing lasted a few minutes until Stefan and Elena finally left to go hunting, the peace and quiet only lasted so long before an unexpected visitor walked in my room. "Why are some people so completely stupid?"

"What time is it?" I grumbled from under the pillow.

"It's vampire nature to feed from humans so why is Stefan so set on breaking the cycle?" Damon continued.

"He's a rebel without a cause," I answered as I sat up and leaned over to grab the clock on the bedside table.

"Oh no, he thinks he's Elena's own personal savior and can keep her happy by sucking on furry little bunny necks rather than feeding from the vain just because he can't do it himself without eating the whole town. This whole thing is a waste of time," he continued.

"Then maybe he does have a cause, do you realize what time it is?" I asked, turning the clock toward him that read 7:30 in glowing red numbers.

He paused from his pacing for a moment to look, make a comment on how it's not even that early, and then continued. "He's too concerned with her feelings and humanity to realize what's good for her."

"But you do?" I asked, giving up on trying to go back to bed and bringing myself up into a full sitting position.

"Um, yeah," he said like it was obvious.

"Then why don't you go do something about it instead of bitching about it to me?" I asked.

"What can I do? She won't listen to me!"

"You say this like it's the first time its happened... I don't think it is."

"You've got that right, it's like it's her own personal goal..."

I watched him continue to pace for a moment before saying, "I'm not sure what you're looking for here."

He finally stopped and looked around like he woke up from a dream. "What am I doing here? I can't be this desperate yet." He shook his head and began walking out but stopped by the door to look back at me and say, "Oh, and while you're up, you can go ahead and leave."

I rolled my eyes but got out of bed and went into the bathroom to wash up. Before I knew it I was walking out the front door and headed back for the house. I began with a brisk walk, not in any particular rush but soon remembered that my uncle was suppose to be back from the dead and I couldn't help but feel a little excited and pick up the pace. I ended up at a full out sprint and made it back within five minutes.

I burst through the front door and was prepared to see my uncle waiting in the entryway for me but was greeted by nothing but an empty house. "Hello?" I called out, despite already being 99% sure no one was there. Unwilling to accept the fact that he left town without me, I began searching the house, not stopping until I had looked over every inch. "You've got to be freaking kidding me..."

I went to my bedroom to find my phone sitting on the bedside table where I left it, picked it up and was ready to call Uncle Nik and curse him over the phone if I could but stopped just before hitting the call button. He wants to up and leave without me, fine. I'll get a phone call in a few days when he needs my help with something, unless...

With my thumb still hovering over the call button I glanced at the corner of the screen where my notifications appear; I opened the tab to reveal that I had three missed calls and a couple text messages from my mother, but that's it. The only one who bothered to find out what happened to me was the person I mistreated the most. Before I could rationalize what I was doing, I crushed the phone in my hand and let the pieces fall to the ground.