Chapter 12

It wasn't until the next morning that my mother finally returned with the white oak stake, claiming that Alaric was a little difficult when it came to handing it over. Now that business was taken care of, Uncle Nik planned on leaving Mystic Falls by tonight, but of course, my mother had some pathetic excuse for us to stay. I'm not sure if I was irritated because I hated the town or just because it was my mother's idea to stay another night, but either way I was less than thrilled about it.

"We're staying here just so you two can go to some stupid high school dance?" I demanded as I barged in on the end of their conversation just after my uncle agreed to go.

"I've worked hard on putting this dance together, I would at least like to see how it turns out," my mother defended.

"It's just a high school dance! There's thousands more happening across America. In a few months maybe you can take a step up and plan a prom, hell, start planning weddings for all I care; my point is you have eternity and you're making a fuss over one dance," I argued.

"If we have eternity then why are you so worked up over spending one more night here?" she countered.

"Because I don't want to," I stated.

There was nothing but intense glares between us before my uncle finally chimed in, "Oh come on, Love. Why don't you go to the dance? Have some fun with your last night, your buddy Stefan will be there."

I shifted my gaze to look at him instead. "If you think that is going to make me go then you're pathetic. This town has done nothing good for us since we did the moonstone ritual. Every time I turn around something else is going wrong or someone is attempting to kill someone else, sometimes succeeding... but I'm done with it. You two enjoy your night, I on the otherhand will be gone within the hour," I said before walking out of the parlor and up to my bedroom to get my things together.

True to my word, 45 minutes later I was putting the last of my things into the Yukon Hybrid (I thought a hybrid driving a hybrid would be funny) and getting ready to leave. I took one last trip into the house to grab my purse and a bottle of water from the fridge before taking off, away from Mystic Falls. I headed north, deciding to go to New York City thinking the change in scenery from small town to big city would be nice.

I only stopped once, about half way in Maryland where I had an early dinner at a Bistro, other than that it was a nonstop trip that took me about seven hours. Big city traffic was not something that I missed but I finally made it to my destination: The Plaza, my favorite place in all of New York. I loved how I didn't even need to compel anyone to get them to do whatever I wanted, except for when I asked for a terrace suite, but other than that they were eager to kiss up and do whatever I asked. I grabbed my purse and almost empty bottle of water from the front seat as the bell boys loaded my luggage onto a trolly to take up to my suite.

Once up to my room I tipped the two men that had helped and then walked over to my bed and fell back on it, revelling in it's comfort. I could have fallen asleep right there if my phone hadn't gone off in my purse, the tone that tells me I have a missed call. Go figure, it was from Uncle Nik; I called my voicemail to listen to his message, punched in my password and unscrewed the cap of my water as I listened to the recording before the message played. I tipped the bottle to my mouth and started drinking as Uncle Nik's voice came through my phone.

"Natalia, darling. Once again you have decided to leave at the worst possible time. Esther is back and has trapped all of the vampires in town at the school, taken Elena, and the one witch who's here isn't powerful enough to break her spell. I hope you're having a fun time wherever you've decided to run off to and I look forward to your call to tell me about your eventful evening, as long as she doesn't succeed in her next plan to kill me, that is." The recording came back on to ask me what I wanted to do with the message but I just ended the call, shocked at what I had just heard. The call came around the time I was entering the hotel, so not that long ago, a lot couldn't have happened between now and then, right?