Chapter 6

When we got to Mystic Falls High the seniors were only in the beginnings of their pranks. Uncle Nik and I stalked around as we waited for Elena to break away from her small group of friends. We really only needed a select few people for what we had planned and thought it would just be easier this way.

One of the senior boys, Matt Donovan, must not have gotten the prank memo because he was in the gym rather than causing mass mayhem throughout the school with his buddies. He must have overheard them though because he was walking around looking suspicious, checking in classrooms and looking over his shoulder whenever he heard a noise from his classmates. He finally found the room where several of them were laying mousetraps, triggering most of them that were laid down to go off.

A few minutes later, Elena finally broke away from the group to do a solo prank, however, as soon as she turned the corner she was greeted by my uncle blocking her way. "There's my girl," he said, smiling at her.

"Klaus," she said breathlessly. She turned around to go back the other way but I was there, cutting her off.

"Look at you, breathing with a beating heart and what not. Odd combination for someone who should be dead, don't you think?" I asked her, tilting my head to the side.

"Now the question is," said Uncle Nik, coming to stand beside me, "what are we going to do about it?" He grabbed her arm and began dragging her toward the gym. "I don't think you understand how all of this was suppose to work, Sweetheart," he began telling her in a fast paced tone that matched his walking speed, "the whole point in breaking the curse and becoming a hybrid was to make more hybrids!"

He jerked her around a corner and she made some weird, struggling noise but he continued to tell her his theory. "I haven't been able to do that. Now my bet is, is that it has something to do with the fact that you're still breathing."

"If you're going to kill me just do it," Elena said, slightly out of breath from being half dragged across the school.

"In time, alright. But I do have ways of making you suffer," he told her as he pulled her through a set of doors into the gym, where multiple teenagers were doing some stupid prank that had to do with cups of water all over the floor.

Uncle Nik put on an accent that matched the people of the town, which I thought just sounded weird, and told all the seniors in the room that they had been busted and to get out. They all got up and began to leave but he stopped two of them. "You two, I remember you."

"I'm sorry," the girl said, "who are you?"

"Oh don't worry, I wasn't in my right head the last time we met. Lift your foot up, Miss Dana," Uncle Nik compelled her. Without question, Dana lifted her right leg and stayed there. He then switched to the guy, "If she drops her foot, Chad, I want you to beat her to death, understood?" Chad nodded in agreement.

"Don't Klaus!" Elena told him. "You don't have to hurt anybody."

"Oh come on, Love," he said, "of course I do."

"Just think, Elena," I said, "If you and your friends weren't always trying to be so heroic and sacrificial, we wouldn't be in this mess right now. Dying just might be the easiest thing we can ask from you, and you couldn't even do that right; so this," I gestured to the two teens in front of us, "is on you and your friends. Probably more your witch friend than the others, right?"

Elena didn't respond to me with anything but a glare.

"Alright, I'm here," came a loud voice that had just entered the gym. "What do you want me to do?"

"Why are you here?" I asked my mother harshly, "Aren't you suppose to be on Stefan Duty?"

"Where is he, what did you do to him?" Elena instantly began asking at the mention of his name.