Chapter 20

Natalia's POV

I woke up groggy as I was gently being jostled back and forth. I slowly came to my senses and the first thing I noticed was the smell of sweet spices, this specific scent I knew better than any other: Uncle Nik. Being carried by him would explain the jostling but why was he carrying me?

It didn't take me too long to remember and I instantly wrestled out of his grip; he didn't seem very surprised when I came to life in his arms, I'm sure he's been waiting for me to wake up.

"Bonnie," was all he said before I could ask what the hell was going on.

I gave a low, menacing growl. "I'm going to kill that bitch..."

"That might not be necessary, Love," he told me.

"What do you mean?" I asked skeptically. I didn't appreciate him dampening my revenge plans.

"Bonnie's spell was suppose to last for the duration of the full moon, there's still another day left," he said gesturing to the sky, where the moon was indeed still full.

"What happened while I was 'indesposed'?" I said sourly.

"Well, once Bonnie got you out of the way she attacked me and ended up locking us inside the Gilbert's living room. After that Rebekah went with her and the others to retrieve the Cure, and based on the most recent conversation I've had with her, they were close to finding it."

"What about Silas?"

"I haven't heard a word about him. If he was with the Cure I haven't been told."

Feeling the anger from before Bonnie attacked me bubbing back up inside me, I walked passed Uncle Nik, back toward Elena's house and hissed, "When they get back, I'm going to curse them all so that they can't die and I can torture them for the rest of their non-lives..."

"About that," Uncle Nik said, reaching out to stop me, "I was hoping to talk to you concerning your magic. Were you aware of what you were doing that night?"

"Of course I was," I said, why would he ask such a stupid question?

"Are you sure?" He was staring directly into my eyes, unwavering, like he use to do when I was child and he wanted to get the truth out of me when I did something I shouldn't have. "You weren't giving into your dark magic, were you?"

I narrowed my eyes, irritated by the accusation. "You're joking right? Of course not, you know I would never do that."

"In your right state of mind, no," he agreed. "In the fit you had the other night I'm not so sure.... that wasn't you." His voice shifted from accusing to genuinely concerned.

My mood softened only a fraction of a bit. "I knew what I was doing. I wanted to use that magic," I defended.

"And that's why I'm concerned, I don't think you realized how far you were going," his tone now took on that of a condescending parent. "I could actually see that darkness taking over, like it was completely consuming you." He used his hands to mime the magic enveloping me.

I didn't respond as I thought back to the last thing I remembered. Raw, anger-fueled energy pumping through my body, powering the most sick and twisted thoughts I've ever had. Just the recollection sent a shiver down my spine, both from fear and pleasure.

My body jerked when Uncle Nik put his hands on my shoulders, startling me out of my thoughts. "Do you remember the last time you used that much of your dark magic?"

I looked at the ground instead of responding, I didn't need to. He already knew the answer; of course I did. The only difference was last time I realized that the darkness was taking over and it scared me enough to snap me out of it. The fact that I embraced it instead this time brought a sinking feeling to my stomach that sobered me from my anger.