Chapter 13

I woke up to my entire body aching and a my head throbbing. I groaned as I tried to sit up but when I finally did I sighed in relief and opened my eyes to find myself back in my bedroom. "Welcome back," came a voice from the side of my bed.

I looked over to see my mother sitting there looking at me with very tired looking eyes. "How long was I out?" I asked in a scratchy voice.

"Just over night," she answered. "I guess Elijah acted pretty quickly and didn't give you a chance to cause any damage; luckily he still carries wolfsbane on him, he said it was a habit he never really broke after living with us."

"What even happened?" I asked as I tried to remember the night before but was only answered with another pulse of pain.

She hesitated for a moment before answering my question with another. "What's the last thing that you remember?"

I stayed quiet for a moment as I thought back throught the last 24 hours. "I was with Uncle Lijah... at Elena's. We were negotiating about getting Uncle Nik back... we went into the woods and-" My hand covered my mouth as I gasped, remembering what caused my outburst. I looked back over at my mother and my unspoken question was answered by the sad look in her eyes.

My heart beat picked up and I pulled my knees to my chest as I began sobbing. There was no more rage and darkness left in me from the night before, just pure sadness and grief for the loss of my uncle. My mother moved as if she were going to sit beside me and put her arm around me but hesitated and thought better of it as she sank back down into her chair, grabbing a tissue instead and handing it to me. I quietly accepted it and began to wipe my eyes and nose.

"Can I get you anything?" my mother asked me quietly.

"No," my voice cracked as I lay back down and turned to face away from my mother.

"Right, well... I'll be downstairs, let me know if you need anything," she said before getting up and leaving.

After I heard her go down the stairs I looked up and through the windows on my balcony doors. Where did Uncle Elijah go? Why would he leave me after what happened last night? Seldom did I feel the need to be comforted but I thought that if the chance ever presented itself again I would have family ready to take on the roll. I don't feel ready to forgive my mother but I don't know if I would have pushed her away if she tried earlier. Aside from family the closest thing I had to a friend in this town was Stefan, and even that was pushing it a bit despite the time we've spend together. He was probably at a party with his friends right now celebrating my uncle's death and praying for mine.

Everyone feels like they're all alone at some point in their life even when they're in a sea of people. This was mine except I was truly alone.

I didn't realize I had fallen asleep until I jerked awake to the sound of gunshots from downstairs.  "Mother?" I called out as I propped myself up on my elbows. Instead of an answer I heard multiple footsteps from the floor below and a man's voice saying, "Check up stairs for the other one, remember, she has powers and is mortal, be careful and shoot to kill."

"What the hell..." I whispered to myself. I heard steps coming up the stairs so I swiped one hand in front of me to close and lock my door and the other to throw the covers off of me and got out of bed. I was still sore and felt like crap and just the small bit of magic used to close my door felt like a lot of work, but the small amount of adrenaline starting to pump through my body helped me get moving. I looked around my room although I knew there was no where I could hide and I definitely wasn't in any condition to fight them off. My eyes landed on my balcony doors and a second later I was on the other side of them looking up at the roof. Under normal circumstances, normal for me that is, the jump would be no problem, but this time I had to climb up on my railing and then use as much energy as I could muster to jump as high as I could; luckily I was able to jump high enough to land on my feet rather than catching the edge and scrambling up.