Chapter 9

Chapter 9

(Tyler's Classroom--------->) 

To say that I was nervous was an understatement. I made my way through the hallway towards the Student Services Office. At least I was inside and not outdoors walking through the common areas from building to building. Somehow Tyler had arranged for security to pick me up from the entrance where Cole dropped me off this morning. He couldn't do it seeing that he had early cases this morning to attend to at the hospital. I couldn't help feeling nervous though. I felt like Anton was going to pop up and  reclaim me, that is my worst fear right about now. The only comfort I had was the fact that I am surrounded by people and security cameras.

 Finding the office, I stepped through the sliding glass doors and up to the counter. Seated behind it was a pretty blond pixie like girl. She was disinterestedly popping her gum. Her hair was cut short and her corn flower blue eyes studied me as if asking me to spit it out what I wanted. I introduced myself and gave her the name of the person I was supposed to meet with this morning to get my instructions on my new job. She picked up the phone and dialed a number, she had a brief conversation with the person on the other end of the line then she hung up and directed me to the back of the offices.  I was to look for office number 213. I wove my way through the maze of dull gray cubicles to the line of office doors along the back wall. Finding door number 213 open, I peeked inside but knocked on the door panel to announce my presence.

 The slightly older man sitting behind the desk looked up at me and smiled. "Ah, you must be Tristan. Welcome, please take a seat." Mr. Harrison told me. I walked in and after shaking his clammy hand I resisted the urge to wipe my hand on my pants and sat down politely. He took his seat and spun around in his chair to grab a file off the desk behind him and spun back around handing me the folder. He went right into it and explained my job functions of directing students seeking advising to the appropriate counselor. It wasn't rocket science as he went through it, he had me flip open the folder and showed me which papers I needed to fill out and return to him. After going through it, I nodded my understanding and he stood up from behind the desk and walked me back out to the reception area where pixie girl was seated.

 He introduced me to her and told her that I was to shadow her today to see how everything worked. Her name suited her. It was Lani. Once I was settled Mr. Harrison ambled his way back to his office leaving us alone. Lani smiled and things got quite busy seeing it was the beginning of a new semester. She showed how the students used their student identification numbers to log into the cue. They were placed with an adviser due to their major and they took a seat until their names where called. It didn't seem to be too difficult and after I while I caught on pretty well. She showed me where the various forms where located as well as the list of phone numbers needed to guide a student to where they needed to be. Time passed pretty quickly and after my four hour shift was done, I thanked her and took my signed forms back to Mr. Harrison. He handed me my work schedule and I was not due back until day after tomorrow. I checked my watch and saw that I had fifteen minutes to make it to my meet and greet.

 I stepped out of the office and into the hallway. My nerves kicked up again knowing that I had to go outside and two buildings over to get to Tyler's classroom. I could feel my heart rate kicking up and even though it was cold outside, I began to sweat a little. I swung my satchel over my head and made my way outside. I looked first to my left and then to my right, trying to map out the quickest route in my brain. I set off at a brisk pace, all the while looking around my surroundings. I was half way to my destination and I was mentally schooling myself. I was excited to see Tyler, but I prayed that I wasn't going to broadcast how I felt about him to the entire class. I made it to the entrance of the medical building and opened the door. I breathed a breath of fresh air to be back indoors. I walked through the milling crowd and I recognized a couple of my class mates from previous classes. I just smiled and nodded at those I knew. They were never really friendly towards me, being so young and I guess because of success in academia they never warmed to me, some were downright mean and confrontational, but I just kept myself under the radar and did what I had to do.