Chapter Four

Chapter Four

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual." -Ernest Hemingway

-----

     The engine is quiet as I pull over on the side of the road beside a slow-walking figure. His head is hung low, his hair falling into his eyes.

     "Taxi," I say teasingly as I lean out the window, my mouth forming a smirk. I turn the key in the ignition,cutting the engine completely.

     His eyes shoot up to meet mine, and his lip twitches,but he forces himself not to smile. "I didn't ask for one."

     "Oh, but you did, see. I specifically remember you asking for a ride at the gas station. If it wasn't for my little public transportation service right here, you would probably still be standing there against a gas pump, or maybe even half a mile down the road from it," When he says nothing, I groan. "Everett,come on. Get your skinny little butt in my truck, or I'm driving off without a second thought. I won't come back this time."

     He rolls his eyes, offering a minuscule smile before tossing his duffel bag back into the bed of my truck. "I knew you'd come around, Leo. Girls always beg for seconds."

     "Oh, please," I scoff, cranking the car up. "Maybe with you as their waiter."

     "Um, no ma'am. You saw my house, my dad is rolling in the dough. You will never see an apron tied around this sexy waist," He motions towards the lower half of his body as he buckles his seat belt.

     "Are you sure you know the meaning of the word'sexy'?" I quirk an eyebrow and pull into traffic. "I think you have it confused with the word 'scrawny'."

     "I'm not scrawny!" He exclaims, throwing his hands in the air.

     I laugh lightly and roll my eyes. "Please. I couldn't tell the difference between you and the straw in my cup."

     "Whatever, James," He chuckles, shaking his head, and turns the radio up. I watch from the corner of my eye as he leans back against the seat and sings along with the song currently playing, closing his eyes.

     As we settle into a comfortable silence, I steal quick glances over to his side and take time to fully take in his looks. He has dark brown hair that he always has to sweep back because of its length. His eyes are this gorgeous color of blue that can swallow you up in one look. They hypnotize you like a magician and it's nearly impossible to tear your gaze away from him.

     His nose is cute and small. It twitches as he sings.His cheekbones are nothing but high and completely sexy.

     His lips, oh god, his lips. They are full and luscious. They curve up in a smile as the song lyrics leave them. Oh,how I would love to kiss those.

     The body belonging to Everett is absolutely perfect. He had a fit stomach with abs; I could see them as his shirt lifted up when he put his hands behind his head. His pants cling onto his waist, becoming baggy as they scale down his legs.

     Stop it right now, Leo, I mentally scold myself,shaking my head. You shouldn't be thinking about Everett that way.You're only dropping him off a few towns over and then you'll never see him again. Don't get too attached to him.

     A country song suddenly starts, and Everett's eyes fly open. He quickly leans up, increasing the volume on the radio, and bobs his head along with the rhythm. I crinkle my nose up in disgust and flip to a different station.

     "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Did that really just happen? That song is amazing," His mouth falls open, turning it back.

     "Oh, please, Kennedy. Every country song is the same," I roll my eyes, completely turning the radio off.

     "Please elaborate, Miss James." He sticks out his lower lip, forming a pout.

     "Sure," I reply, sitting up straighter in my seat. "It's always about typical 'bo' struggles, such as romance, lakes, being barefoot, and alcohol. A guy is talking about how much he likes a girl and wants to stay with her all night. A girl talks about the guy who cheated on her. Both talk about how much they miss each other," I smirk as I switch lanes. "Simply idiotic."

     "Nice word choice, I can't help but praise you for that. But not every country song sucks," Everett laughs, shaking his head. He reaches for the radio and turns it back up, then switches to the station I had chosen.

     A small smile appears on my lips, and I can barely hold it back. He glances at me, rolling his eyes, and faces the window.

     "Stop flirting with me, Everett Kennedy," I say jokingly, sliding my sunglasses over my eyes. "You're not winning me over."

     "You're kidding!" He turns in his seat in my direction, bulging his eyes. "Everyone falls for me!"

     "Well, number one, I don't date. And number two, I don't like you."

     "At all?"

     I shake my head. "You're just my... traveling buddy," Laughing, I turn the radio's volume louder and sing softly.

-----

     Hi, lovelies!

     As always, comment mistakes if you see them please! 

     I've decided to stop giving each chapter a title because when I do, they always sound childish and dumb aha. 

     Happy Reading!

     -Mack