Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

"No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow." -Lin Yutang

-----

Hannah's POV

     I press my phone to my ear and listen to it ring. I've been trying to reach Leo for over a week now, and she hasn't picked up once.

     "Hey,it's Leo. Sorry I missed your call, but leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!"

     I sigh as I listen to her voicemail message before ending the call. That's the seventh call in three days.

     Mrs. James rushes into the living room, where I am sitting on the couch. Mr. James follows soon after. Her mouth forms a hopeful smile, and she puts her hands on my arms. "So? What'd she say?"

     I exhale slowly, looking up at Leo's mother. "She didn't pick up. I'm sorry."

     Her face falls, and I watch as a few tears run down her cheeks. Leo's dad rubs Mrs. James's shoulders slowly; I can tell he's holding back tears as well.

     She suddenly bursts into tears, turning in her husband's arms and hugging him tightly. "My poor baby, out there all alone with a random boy."

    I stand up awkwardly, wanting to give them some alone time, and make my way out the back door to the porch. Sitting on the steps, I pull my knees up to my chest and sigh. I call Leo's number again hoping and praying for an answer, but it goes to voicemail once again.

     "Hey, it's Hannah," I sigh after the beep."Where are you, Leo? Your parents are freaking out over you.They're really scared that you're kidnapped, or hurt, or worse. You need to come home before they get the police involved. Please, Leo. I miss you. We all miss you."

      I silently end the call and stand from the steps,brushing off the seat of my jeans. As soon as I enter the house, I hear Leo's mother saying, "I want her back, William. I don't want to lose another one of my babies."