Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

"Tourists don't know where they've been. Travelers don't know where they're going." -Paul Theroux

-----

Leo's POV

     "Are you ready?"

     "Areyou ready?"

     "I don't know."

     "Just go for it. No turning back, right?"

     I sigh heavily, pulling into the median and braking.Everett places an encouraging hand on my arm, and I turn left,heading back towards our homes.

     "I wonder where we are, exactly. Like, how faraway we are from our towns." I say, turning the radio down.

     "I'm not sure," He shrugs and puts another M&M in his mouth, "but we've been gone for three weeks and some days. It has to be far enough."

     We ride in silence for about two hours before I remember my phone ringing while we were singing. "Hey, Everett, will you grab my phone from my bag? It's in the backseat next to the cooler."

     He rummages around for a few moments before straightening his back and offering it to me. "You have a voicemail."

     "You can play it."

     In three seconds, my best friend's voice fills the air.

     "Hey, it's Hannah," I hear her sigh. "Where are you, Leo? Your parents are freaking out over you. They're really scared that you're kidnapped, or hurt, or worse. You need to come home before they get the police involved. Please, Leo. I miss you. We all miss you."

    I exhale slowly, taking my phone from his hand and shutting it off. "Who's Hannah?" Everett asks nervously,his eyes laced with concern.

     "She's just a friend. Don't worry about it," I lean forward, turning the radio back up. He glances over at me warily but doesn't mention it again. I drop my phone into the cup-holder beside his and sigh,rubbing my forehead. I'm not even there and I can't catch a break.

     In about thirty minutes, Everett nudges me playfully with his elbow. "I have to pee."

     Rolling my eyes, I say, "You always have to pee,Everett."

     "I know, but now I really need to potty."

     A laugh escapes my mouth, and I shake my head. "Okay, okay. I'll stop somewhere, but don't ever say that word again."

      "What?Potty?"

     I laugh once again, smacking his arm. "Stop, I said! It makes you sound like your three."

     "Leo," He says in a baby voice, sticking out his lower lip, "I have to potty. I really have to potty.I don't want to potty in my pants. Please take me to a potty."

     He starts laughing as well, and by this time my stomach is cramping and tears are rolling down my cheeks. "E-Everett,s-s-stop!"

     "It's not even that funny, Leo," He rolls his eyes, taking my hand before smiling at me. I glance at our hands as I take the next exit and head towards a McDonald's.

     "How'd I get stuck with the biggest loser ever,huh?" I squeeze his hand and put the car in park, unbuckling my seat belt.

     "A miracle, indeed," My travel partner shoots me a grin before running into the fast-food restaurant. I trail behind him slowly, but I walk to the counter and not the restrooms.