Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen 

"Every one of a hundred thousand cities around the world had its own special sunset and it was worth going there. Just once, if only to see the sun go down." -Ryū Murakami

-----

      "My exit is next, Leo."

     I immediately look at Everett, my eyes wide. "What did you say?"

     "My town, where I actually live? The exit is next." He repeats, a sad tone in his voice.

     "Well, are you going to go back?" I ask, hoping that he would say no and that he was going back with me, but I already knew the answer to that.

     He nods slowly as he watches me, his eyes almost as big as mine. "My dad."

     Exhaling sharply, I nod, focusing only on the road as I pull off the interstate. We ride in silence, and I drive to the house I had visited almost a month ago.

     The house quickly comes into view, and I pull into the familiar driveway, seeing a huge, black SUV parked in front of the house. "Do you want to meet my dad?" He asks me softly, not meeting my eyes.

     Shrugging, I park the truck and cut the engine. We climb out together, him grabbing his bags, and walk up to the door.Before he rings the doorbell, he gazes at me forlornly. I shoot him a hopeful smile and nod, taking his free hand in mine. His finger presses into the button before he can take it back, and we wait anxiously.

     Suddenly the door swings open, and a middle-aged man comes out quickly, engulfing Everett into a hug. "Everett, where have you been? I've been looking all over for you. You had me so worried!"

     "I know, Dad," Everett sighs, hugging the man back. "I know."

     Mr. Kennedy releases his son from the hug, and turns tome. "Who is this?"

     "This is the girl who traveled with me. She picked me up from the gas station down the road, and we ran away. This is Leo." He smiles sadly. "Leo, this is my father."

     "Nice to meet you, Mr. Kennedy," I say awkwardly, giving him a little wave of my hand.

     He grabs my hand and shakes it politely, smiling. "Oh, please, call me Calvin. Would you like to come inside?" He moves from the doorway and motions towards the foyer.

     "No, thank you, Mr.- uh, Calvin. I really should be getting home," I decline, taking a few steps towards the driveway.

     "Well, in that case, I'll give you two a moment of privacy. I'll be in the kitchen, Everett," Everett's dad nods at me briefly before closing the front door behind him.

     Everett turns to face me as soon as we're alone. "So I guess this is it, huh?"

     I shrug nonchalantly, tears filling my eyes. Wrapping my arms around his midsection, I hug him tightly, trying to memorize everything about him before I never see him again. "I'll miss you."

     "I'll miss you too, Leo," He sighs as he squeezes me back. "I love you."

     I chuckle with a hard breath. Raising my head, I press my lips to his cheek briefly before running to my truck. Tears are spilling down my cheeks when I crank the engine and pull out of his driveway, finally heading home.