Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

"Everything I was I carry with me. Everything I will be lies waiting on the road ahead." -Majian

-----

"Please, please, please, please, please, Leo. Please."

We have officially been traveling for seven and a half hours. For the past two of those seven and a half hours, Everett has been begging me to drive. No matter how many times I yell at him to shut up and that he's not going to drive my truck, he is still annoying the living crap out of me.

"Come on, Leo, please let me drive. I'm a good driver. I have my license. I've never been in a wreck. I'm always the DD when me and my friends go to parties. I-"

"Everett, oh my gosh, shut up. I'm tired of hearing you speak," I roll my eyes, turning the radio down.

"Leo, please let me drive."

I let out a short yawn, covering my mouth with my hand,and I hear him gasp. "You yawned, Leo."

"Yes, I did. Great observation."

"No, Leo, you yawned," A smirk automatically appears on his face. "You're tired."

"I'm really not."

He laughs loudly and claps twice. "You have no choice but to let me drive. We don't want you falling asleep behind the wheel, do we?"

I groan as I pull onto the side of the road. "Fine,fine, fine. But I swear to God that if you do anything that damages my truck in any way, shape, or form, I will murder you."

"Wow, Leo. So feisty," He chuckles, climbing into the driver's seat as I climb over the console to the passenger side. "I'm really frightened."

I roll my eyes, snuggling down into the chair."Whatever, Kennedy."

Everett shoots me a wide grin and pulls back onto the main road. "I feel like I haven't driven in forever. It's good to be back."

"Slow down, Everett," I say in a hushed voice, but his speed doesn't falter. "Everett, I swear, slowdown. You're going too fast. You're going to wreck my car."

"Why is this truck even that special to you?Honestly, it's sort of a piece of junk."

My breath hitches, and I turn towards the window. I bite my lip, trying to hold back my tears.

"Leo?"

Tears start to run down my face, but I'm quick to wipe them away. "Stop, Everett."

That shuts him up.

We drive for another thirty minutes before I speak up again.

"My sister's name was Farrah. She died three years ago when she was eighteen. She was driving around, and she pulled out her phone to answer a text from me. She lost control, ran into a ditch, and died instantly. I was fifteen."

"Leo, I-"

"No. Let me finish," I take a deep breath and start again. "This truck was her first car. When she passed away, my parents couldn't touch it; it reminded them so much of her. So I just got the keys and drove it.

"It's also the only way I can get away from my parents. When Farrah died, they couldn't even look at me because I looked so much like her. When we were all home at the same time, they would look at me with this sad look in their eyes. I couldn't stand it, so I left."

He's silent for about two minutes until he talks. "Wow,Leo. I'm sorry."

I shake my head. "Don't worry about it."