Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." -Robert Louis Stevenson

-----

     After our stop for lunch and a treat, we get back on the interstate with me driving.

     As we listen to the radio, I can hear my phone ringing in the backseat. The sound is muffled by everything else in my bag,and I hope and pray that Everett doesn't hear it.

     My prayers weren't answered.

     "Are you going to get that?"

     I shrug nonchalantly, shaking my head. "It can't be anything too important."

     "We are kind of running away. It could be your parents, or the police, or anyone."

     Rolling my eyes, I tell him, "No one is looking for me, okay? They probably don't even know that I'm gone. It'll be fine."

     The annoying ring finally ceases for a moment, but is quick to start again. Before I can stop him, Everett reaches into the back seat and snatches it from my bag, answering the call."Hello?"

     I groan as I hear my mother start to ramble. "Leo Amelia James! Where have you been? Where are you? What got into you, running away like that? We were scared to death that you were kidnapped, or held hostage, or worse. Why didn't you call us first? Why didn't you confront us? We would've- wait."

     My palms start to sweat as she pauses.

     "Who is this?"

     Silence.

     "Leo?"

     Not a word is spoken.

     "That sounded like a boy's voice, Leo."

     Nope.

     "Why are you with a boy? Who is this?"

     I grab the phone from his hand, ending the call as quickly as it started, and toss it into the backseat. We sit in silence for a few minutes before I speak.

     "What the heck, Everett?" My voice is soft,but my tone is anything but. "Why would you answer a phone call that I told you not to worry about? What is wrong with you?"

     "They miss you, Leo."

     Scoffing, I roll my eyes in shock. "They don't miss me, Everett. They want me to come home so they don't have to worry about anything. They just want their perfect little lives to return back to normal, okay? Just- just forget anyone even called."

     He keeps his mouth shut. The phone rings three more times in the back seat before we fall into completely silence.

//

     We eventually end up on another beach. After grabbing a quick dinner consisting of chicken tenders and fries, Everett insists on walking the beach. I slowly slip off my shoes and carry them in my hand as we walk.

     "How would you feel about a game of Twenty questions?"

     "Whatever, Kennedy."

     "I guess that means I'm starting."

     I laugh, motioning towards him. "Go for it, kid."

     "Alright. Favorite color?"

     "Yellow. Yours?"

     "Green. Favorite meal?"

     "Barbecue chicken with peas and mac-and-cheese. Um... one word that would describe your childhood?"

    "Daredevil. I was a wild child, you know. How about your natural hair color?"

     "You're looking at it."

     "Really?"

     "Yup. Favorite candy?"

     "M&M's. You?"

     "Skittles. Any piercings?"

     "Of course not. Why don't you like any of the boys that like you?"

     Well, this took a very unexpected turn for the worst.

    "Pass," I whisper, crossing my arms uncomfortably. We walk for another ten minutes in a nice silence,besides the natural beach sounds, and I quietly slip my hand into his.