Fifth

"I just don't know. Should I say yes, or should I say no? There are two distinct choices that I can make."

Padmé and I pace the gardens behind her parents' house.

"Well," I start, "think of the positives and negatives between the two. If you say yes, what are the pros and cons of that choice? If you say no, what are the positives and negatives?"

Padmé nods slowly as she takes in my words. "You're right. I'll have to think about that."

I sneak a quick glance at her, and even through the outside, I can see the beauty within. She is so...

"Padmé!" a voice says. We both turn around, and I want to scream. It's Clovis.

How is he even here right now? What is that guy's problem?

Clovis rushes towards us -- well, Padmé -- and pulls her into a forced embrace. "Oh, Padmé. It's great to see you."

Padmé pushes him away, though not very distinctly. "Clovis. What are you doing here?"

"The banking clan awarded me a two-day retreat. I figured I'd take the chance to come and see you," he breathes, like he's all tired out or something. Get a life, you lovesick freak!

It's silent between the two, and I clear my throat forcefully to intervene. Clovis glares at me. "Oh. You again."

"Yes. Me again."

***********************************

I lean off of Padmé's balcony, watching Clovis walk Padmé through the gardens like a Jedi Master watches his Padawan.

I'm expecting him to beg her to say yes to his proposal, because the Padmé I know wouldn't say yes.

I hate that it has to come down to this. The pressure. The stress. I wish she would just say no. But I know she won't just straight out say that.

Once they get closer to the balcony, I swear Clovis says this just to aggravate me. He plucks a flower from it's place in the soil and places it in Padmé's curls, saying, "This flower is beautiful. Just like you, my little sunshine." Are you for real?!

"Someone's jealous," a soft voice says from behind me. I whip my head around to find Sola, Padmé's older sister, leaning against the rail beside me.

"Who? You mean me, or..."

Sola nods her head. "I mean you." She sighs and shakes her head slowly. "I don't blame you. Clovis is..."

"Pushy. Aggravating. Controlling."

Sola laughs. "All are true."

"I just wish... ah, I just wish that Padmé would make a choice. The anxiety is driving me up the wall."

"I understand. But eventually, she'll make a choice. Don't you worry." She rubs my arm and starts towards the door. "And... most likely she'll say no."

I snort. "We could only hope."