Sixth

Clovis's proposal equals success. Padmé said yes.

I'm completely destroyed. I just can't believe she would even say that! Why?

We've moved to the Varykino Villa, away from Clovis and away from the rest of the galaxy. We kissed. We kissed, and it haunts me all of the time, day and night. I can't deny that I love her more than anything.

The dream about my mother that I had last night haunts me, just like the kiss Padmé never should've given me. I need to find her and save her.

I stand, meditating on the balcony, trying to calm my thoughts and emotions. I sense Padmé's presence as she emerges from behind the curtains. She sees me meditating and attempts to move away, but I stop her.

"Don't go," I say, my eyes still closed.

"I don't wanna disturb you," Padmé says. Her calm voice is soothing.

"Your presence is soothing."

There's a short pause. "You had another nightmare last night."

I pause. "Jedi don't have nightmares."

"I heard you."

I stare down at the floor, my expression hardening. "I saw my mother," I say through gritted teeth. "She's suffering, Padmé." I turn to face her, the expression on her face also hard. I turn back around and pace the floor. Stopping, I take a deep breath. "She is in pain. I know I'm disobeying my mandate to protect you, Senator," I say, looking her in the eye, "but I have to go."

"I'll go with you," Padmé insists.

I shake my head. "I'm sorry, I don't have a choice."

***********************************

After Cliegg Lars tells me how my mother was taken, I'm determined to find her.

Padmé stands across from me a worried look in her eyes.

"You're gonna have to stay here," I say. "These are good people, Padmé, you'll be safe."

"Anakin," she says, reaching up and holding her arms around my neck. I bury my face in her shoulder and wrap my arms around her.

When I let go, I do it slowly, pressing my head against hers. She pulls away slowly, and I walk toward my land speeder. "I won't be long."