Chapter 1: Archimedes's Principle

The End.

Two words that make your stomach turn upside down.

The end of a bad relationship.

The end of your chemotherapy and a happy new life.

Or simply the end of the world.

But for me, it was the end of high school.

After all high school, those two words were the only ones I couldn't believe were almost there. I remember waiting for that special day since my 8th grade graduation. It seemed so far away, almost impossible. I had spent my whole life waiting to be a senior. It may sound foolish, but it's the first thing all of us look foward to when we enter high school. Graduation day becomes "the next step" or "the end of a new beginning".

I had made up different types of scenarios for graduation like: being arranged in the ceremony between two people who I hadn't even bothered to talk to throughout my whole educational experience, even though they had been with me since Kindergarten or having to speak in front of everyone, like I did in 8th grade, about how the teachers made high school such an astonishing experience and thank them for "making me the person I am today". Graduation day could've have gone many ways, but even though it was so close it seemed so far away.

Like 182 days to go to be specific.

I'm Daniel by the way.

On my last-first day of high school I woke up like always. The alarm clock went off, I silenced it. Then five minutes later it went off again, I silenced it and that went on for half an hour. Until, I painfully got up and turned it off for good.

Look, I don't wanna tell you the whole routine on how I got ready. You know what I mean... I'm talking about the whole: get ready for school scene.

But I didn't get ready with a schedule or an alarm clock destined to make me ridiculously late on the first day of school, like any other fictional character in any book.
None of the real people do.

Brush teeth.

Take shower if feeling sticky.

Put shirt and pants on.

Eat anything.

Take my beautiful mom to work.

It wasn't so complicated.

Meet Teresa Ortiz, not only is she the most extrordinary human in the world, but I also have the honor of calling her my mother.

---

After dropping mom off work, I pulled up in the school parking lot filled with uncharacteristically happy teenagers. I turned the engine off and didn't bother to get out of  the car for a few minutes. I sat there inhaling the moment.

My last first day of school.

Time had gone by in a blink of an eye. There I was, standing in front of hell. In front of a lot of people that in 17 added years I wasn't  going remember. Maybe we met in a high school reunion and everyone was fat, bald, with kids and unhappy.

I think being bald and unhappy are the only things I'm truly scared of.

But it was only the beginning of my senior year. So let's say it wasn't all about the end of everything, but the start of something new.

I felt the exitment running through my veins.

Why am I so exhilarated?

It's school, the same school with the same people.