Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Damien Gray

“What is that?” Emilia asked, just as Sebastian stepped into the living room carrying a black leather suitcase.

“How was it?” I asked, taking the case from him and heading to the study.

“It was fine. We should visit more often. Natalia and Alvin miss us. They wish you well,” Sebastian replied, grinning at me.

“What are you two talking about? And what is in that case?”

Emilia kept eyeing the case in my hand, and Sebastian seemed amused with her curiosity.

“What about the trip?” I asked, ignoring Emilia’s questions.

Sebastian had been gone for three days. He was only supposed to be gone for one day. I had been anxiously waiting for him to return. It had been a while since Sebastian and I had been separated, and never for more than a day or two.

“What is going on here?” Emilia snapped.

Sebastian chuckled, and patted Emilia’s head, which earned him a loud growl from her.

“I went on a trip,” Sebastian replied to her, vaguely.

“I was out longer because Natalia and Alvin were worried about us. We usually visit together. You didn’t tag along this time.”

“We can’t leave now,” I reminded him.

“We hadn’t been there since July,” Sebastian told me.

“Are they okay?”

“Natalia didn’t want to let me go. Alvin finally convinced her. I promised you would call her as soon as I arrived.”

“Who are those people? And seriously, what are you carrying,” Emilia asked, her eyes looking down suspiciously at the suitcase.

I hadn’t opened it yet. I was more worried about Natalia and Alvin.

“Natalia and Alvin are friends,” I slowly replied.

Emilia cocked an eyebrow at my words, but she still seemed confused.

“We met them a few years back, after we got kicked out,” Sebastian answered.

His words made more sense to her, although Emilia didn’t let up.

“Like family?”

“They are humans, and they were the only people we ever really talked to. Alvin and Natalia are a few years older than us, but very mature. They watched over us whenever we gave them the chance,” I tried to explain.

“You lived with them?”

I shook my head, and Sebastian snorted at her question.

“Damien and I live alone. Nobody else can be trusted,” Sebastian smoothly replied.

I nodded my head in agreement, until I noticed the hurt look in Emilia’s face.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

I put the case down, and stood in front of her. Emilia slapped my hand when I reached out for her, and she growled at me.

“Oh,” Sebastian muttered.

“What?” I asked, feeling confused by Emilia’s reaction.

“Nobody can be trusted?” Emilia repeated in a mocking tone.