Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Grace's P.O.V

Voices. I could hear voices. Somewhere nearby. Muffled though. As if I was underwater... Was that my name? 

Grace.

Yes. My name. 

Wake up.

Wake up? What do they...

Wake up, Grace. Wake...

"... up."

I opened my eyes. Kirstie was standing over me, and Avi was just behind her. I was lying in a hospital bed. I sat up slowly, feeling confused.

"W-What happened? Why am I in bed?"

Kirstie smiled gently at me. I noticed her eyes were red and puffy. Had she been crying?

"You freaked out so the nurses gave you a shot to help you relax. I guess it made you fall asleep."

"Freak out? Why would I..?" 

Then it all came rushing back.

The phonecall. Catching the plane. The awful news. Singing 'Run To You'. And...

"Mitch... Where is he? Is he okay?"

Kirstie bit her lip. 

"He's um..."

"Right here"

The whole world seemed to freeze. Kirstie stepped away from the bed to reveal...

Mitch. Standing in the doorway. Thinner than I remember. More tired looking too. He was in cruchtes and had a cast around one leg. Through his thin t-shirt I could see his chest was heavily bandaged. My eyes trailed up his thin figure slowly until they met his. I couldn't speak. So Instead I slid out of the bed and walked over to him. 

Standing in front of him, I could see every detail in his face. But at the same time I couldn't tear my gaze away from his eyes. 

Finally I found my voice.

"Mitch... I-"

But I didn't even get a chance to finish. Because at that exact moment he leaned forwards and kissed me.

Without even thinking, I kissed him back. I reached up and gently cupped his face in my hands as I kissed him.

After what seemed like far too short a time, we had to separate for air.

I heard a squeal behind me and remembered that Kirstie and Avi were in the room with us. But I didn't care. I wrapped my arms around Mitch, being careful not to hurt him, and he nestled his face in my shoulder.

"I missed you. I missed you so much. Every day I'd wake up begging that it was just a horrible dream and that you were right there beside me. But..." 

He stopped talking and wrapped an arm around me, gripping me tightly.

"I missed you too. I constantly worried about you, wondering how you were. When I got the call to say that you were in hospital I almost died. I realised that I can't bear living without you. I-I love you."

I felt him smile against my skin. 

"I love you too."

Kirstie squeaked again and Avi chuckled.

And finally, I was happy and I was in love with someone who loved me back.