Chapter Seven

Grace's P.O.V

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. Mitch groaned in frustration and slumped down against the wall. 
Knowing that the quickest way out of this would be to get it over and done with, I walked over and sat down beside Mitch. He had his head in his hands and it was obvious that even though he didn't say anything he was telling me 'Go away, I don't want to talk to you.'
I sighed.
"Mitch..."
"What?"
His tone made me flinch slightly.
"Kirstie's right. We need to talk."
He made an irritated noise and then removed his hands from his face.
"Fine, talk away."
I struggled to find a place to start.
"You know how... I mean, the other day... in the woods. Did you, um... did you..." I couldn't seem to get the right words out. He knew what I meant though.
"Did I try to kiss you?"
I nodded.
He sighed and stood up. I followed suit.
"Look Grace, the answer is yes but..."
I waited for him to continue.
"The thing is, ever since I was fourteen years old, I've liked guys. Probably even before then but that's when I started thinking about it seriously. To be honest, I don't know what's happening. I can't really be sure because of all the crazy stuff that's happened recently. So until all that stuff is sorted out, I can't really tell you how I feel about you simply because I don't know myself."
I stayed silent, processing what he just said.
Suddenly he turned to me.
"Grace, do you like me?"
I felt weird. Did I like him? 
Yes.
A little voice inside prodded me, trying to get me to speak. But my mouth was refusing to cooperate. In fact, even my head wouldn't nod and obey that little voice. So I did the best I could do and shrugged.
Mitch sighed and grabbed me by the shoulders.
"I need a yes or no, Grace."
Suddenly, my body began to work again. I opened my mouth and took a deep breath, preparing myself for his reaction.
"Grace?"
I froze.
No.
It couldn't be.
Avi and Kirstie were guarding the entrances.
But what if...
I whirled round and gasped in shock.
Michael had Kirstie in a head lock and was pointing a gun at her head.
I took a step forward but stopped when Michael tutted at me.
"Make one more move towards me and I'll shoot her."
I froze and I could hear Mitch behind me breathing hard.
Michael laughed.
"So, Grace. Is that what they're calling you? You never let me call you that. Why the sudden change of mind? You're really name not good enough for you? Or do you just think that calling yourself by your middle name will keep you safe from me?"
He grinned evilly.
"Well, you got that wrong didn't you?"
Just then we heard a voice coming from the other entrance to the garden.
"Mitch? Grace? You guys done talking yet? We should probably be going soo-" Avi paused mid-word as he came around the corner.
He stopped and stared at Michael. Then his gaze traveled down to Kirstie and I thought I heard him swear under his breath.
Michael let out a manic laugh.
"Oh that's just great! Let's have a party shall we? Although, we might have to do with one less guest."
And with that he pulled Kirstie up and placed the gun under her chin.
"I hope nobody faints at the sight of blood!"
He cocked the gun pointed it at Kirstie's temple and-
"No!" Avi, Mitch and I all screamed.
Michael paused and smiled. His finger was resting on the trigger.
"So I see you know what happens when I pull on this little thing here. Don't worry, I won't kill this lovely girl! Not yet anyway. However, you three will have to pay attention and follow my orders or you can say bye-bye to your little friend!"
Glancing behind and beside me I could see Mitch looking scared and Avi looking livid.
"For starters!"
My attention snapped back to Michael.
"I want you," He pointed the pistol at me. "To take three steps forwards."
I followed his instructions and realized that I now couldn't see Avi or Mitch.
"Now sit down and don't look behind you unless I tell you to."
I sat. Now unable to look behind me, I caught Kirstie's eye and mouthed, 'I'm so sorry'. She gave me a weak smile in return.
"And you my bearded friend, I want you to go stand with your back against that tree just there. That's right, now put your hands behind your back."
To keep myself busy, I thought of ways that this could turn out OK. Most of them required a miracle but if I didn't keep my brain busy, I would do something stupid and get Kirstie shot.
"Now, don't think I've forgotten you, my dear brother. You are going to stay right where you are and we're going to have a little catch up session. So, I hear you and your little band have become famous?"
"Yes."
"Well, that's interesting." The way Michael said it made it seem as though he couldn't possibly be more uninterested.
"Now ask me something."
"I heard you killed our cousin. Is that true?"
"Yeah, she wouldn't give me the information I wanted."
"And what information was that?"
"Where you were. You see, I've been searching for you ever since we were separated. No one else ever understood me. Except for Miss Heathers here of course. But then the little bitch ran away from me so I guess she didn't really understand me that well after all."
Michael must have loosened his grip slightly because Kirstie suddenly attempted to duck and run. She had barely taken a single step when Michael grabbed her by the arm and pulled her back. She struggled against him and actually seemed to be winning until he backhanded her across the face. She cried out in pain and I heard footsteps behind me.
"Ah ah ah! Back against the tree mister!" Michael said, putting Kirstie back into a headlock. I heard Avi take a few steps backwards, although they sounded hesitant, as though he really didn't want to be stepping away.
Michael gave a mischievous grin.
"Let me guess. The only thing that's keeping you sane right now is thoughts of me in pain? Am I right Mr...?"
"Kaplan. Avi Kaplan."
"Well, Mr. Kaplan, correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe that you care about this lovely girl here. Yes?"
"Of course I do, so do the others."
"Yes, but you feel something special, don't you? Do you, dare I say, love her?"
There was a long pause.
"Yes. I do."
Michael let out a bark of laughter.
"Ha! Really? Oh, that's just brilliant! It's too perfect! Thank you, Mr. Kaplan! Thank you! My plan works perfectly now!"
Feeling slightly daring, I spoke.
"What plan would that be?"
He stopped laughing and smirked at me.
"The plan to get you back, my love. Would you like me to explain it?"
I nodded.
"It goes like this; I take Miss- What's your name, darling?"
"Kirstie Maldonando."
"Right. I take Kirstie with me. If you follow me, I'll shoot her by the way. I take her with me and then you have tomorrow to make up your mind as to whether you like your friend Kirstie more alive or dead. Then the day after tomorrow, you come to a location that I will text to you. If you show up, it means that Kirstie here goes free and you, Miss Heathers, you come with me. Then we go home and forget this ever happened. However, if you don't show up on time, when you get there all you'll find is Kirstie's dead body. And then I'll move onto your other friends. The choice is yours."
And with that, he backed out of the garden, dragging Kirstie with him.