Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Grace's P.O.V

"Thank you, Ma'am. Have a nice day."

My automatic response made it seem like I was cheerful. I've learned that if I'm in a "good" mood, generally the customers are easier to deal with.

"You doing alright there, Helen?"

Tony, a young man with light ginger hair and lots of freckles, grinned cheerily at me from the opposite checkout. I smiled back.

"I'm okay. Tired though, it's been a long day."

He nodded.

"Sure has, good thing it's almost the end of our shift. You want to grab something to eat after?"

"Sounds good to me."

We finished the last fifteen minutes of our shift before packing up and heading out to our usual place. Once there, we ordered our food and sat down at a small table in the corner of the cafe.

"So, tough week aye?"

I shrugged.

"I guess you could say that. I haven't really been sleeping all that well recently."

Tony frowned.

"Oh yeah? Why's that?"

"Bad dreams, mostly."

I wasn't lying. I'd been having some pretty awful nightmares. The worst part was that none of them made any sort of sense. One second I'd be reliving my time with Michael, the next I'd be running through the park near Esther's house with Mitch and the other's, laughing as we did so. And both were equally terrifying.

I missed them all horribly. But I knew I couldn't go back. It was for the best if I just stayed here. My life was simple and quiet. I spent most of my time working, either in my job at the supermarket or volunteering at the second-hand shop down the road from my little one room apartment.

Our food arrived then. We ate, chatting casually. After we finished, Tony offered me a ride home. I accepted, glad to not be taking the bus.

We stopped at a small music store on the way.

"Just wait here, I need to get some more picks."

Remembering he played guitar in a small punk-rock band, I nodded.

While I waited I started humming. It took me a while to realise that I was singing 'Run To You'. I stopped and the world suddenly felt very quiet.

Just then, my phone started ringing. I picked it up with out checking, thinking it would be Tony asking me to bring in his wallet, which he had left on the seat beside me.

"Hello?"

"Hey Grace, we  have something to tell you. Is this a good time?"

I almost dropped my phone. I've only ever known one person with a voice that deep.

"Avi? Is that you?" 

I heard him chuckle softly.

"Well, yeah, and the others."

"Hi Grace!"

Kirstie.

"Hey there, Gracie!"

Scott.

"Hey little fruit!"

Kevin.

There was a pause. I hesitated and then decided to ask.