Chapter Ten

Grace's P.O.V

My body was shaking.
My throat was hurting from screaming but I couldn't stop.
Mitch had one arm around me and and was on the phone with someone. Tears were streaming down his face but he seemed to be in shock more than anything else.

The last thing I remembered was flashing lights, someone sticking a needle in my arm and then fading into a quiet blackness...

I was alone in a dark room, except I could see clearly and it wasn't really a room. More of an empty space where although I could see the walls, I somehow knew that they would fade away as soon as I went near them. In the middle of the "room" there was a door. Almost as though I couldn't stop myself, I walked over to it. I was just about to open it when I heard a voice behind me.

"Grace?"

Michael...

As I turned, the door opened and a strange warm light pulled me through. But just before I fell into it, I saw him, his silver eyes finally, finally full of happiness. My voice failing, I lifted a hand and held it out as what I knew was my last goodbye. And then I let the light pull me through, back to the land of the living.

My eyes fluttered open and I immediately recognised Avi's living room. I sat up on the couch that I had been laying on. I ran a hand over it and sighed slightly. The last lime I was here had been before all of... that had happened.

"Grace? Oh thank God you're finally awake!" Kirstie raced into the room and tackled me in a tight hug. I absent-mindedly hugged her back. When she pulled away, I was instantly filled with questions.

"Kirst, what do you mean I'm finally awake? And where's everyone else? Is Kevin okay? Is Mitch okay? What about everyone else? What-"

"Grace!" Kirstie was laughing and shaking her head slightly. I snapped my mouth shut but looked at her pointedly.

"In answer to your questions, you've been out over a day, eveyone else is either sleeping or in the kitchen, Kevin is fine other that needing crutches for a few weeks, Mitch is-"

"Right here."

Kirstie and I both jumped at the sound of his voice.

He looked exhausted, although his clothes were wrinkled, as though he had been sleeping in them. However there were dark shadows under his eyes and  the way he leaned against the doorframe suggested that if he had slept, it hadn't been for very long. Even in this tired state, the look in his eyes told what I had been wanting to hear the whole time.

You're safe.

Kirstie looked between us, smiling.

"I'll leave you two to chat."

She bounced up and practically skipped out of the room.

Mitch came over and sat down next to me. He pulled me into a one armed hug and whispered in my ear.

"It's ok, you don't have to pretend with me."

I tried to hold, but less that two seconds later, I broke. 

Mitch held me close and gently rubbed my back as I sobbed and sobbed into his shoulder. He didn't say anything like "it's going to be ok" or "you'll be alright". And I was glad of it. Because I knew it wasn't true.

It wasn't ok.

And I wasn't going to be alright.

Scott's P.O.V

I don't understand.

Kirstie said the Grace had been fine when she talked to her, but as the days went on, the the small girl got quieter and quieter. She barely seemed to be eating or sleeping and everyone was worried about her. 

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I asked Avi. We were heading out to meet up with our manager to have a talk about what to do now that the drama was finally over. Unfortunately, Grace had refused to go saying that she needed to stay at home. Avi sighed.

"No, I don't think it's a good idea to leave Grace by herself. She's too unstable in my opinion. But it would upset her too much if we were to force her to leave."

I nodded, knowing that he was right. I could hear Mitch in the next room, talking to Grace.

"...we'll be back in about an hour, and you can call us if you need anything."

Grace mumbled what sounded like "okay."

A few seconds later Mitch came out of the room.

"You ready?" I asked

He nodded.

"Let's go."

We all headed out to the car, Kevin on crutches still from the bullet wound. We climbed in, Avi started the car and we set off for the coffee shop where we were meeting up with Jonathan.

We had been driving for a bit when a thought struck me. I felt around in my pockets and then started looking around where I was sitting.

"What have you lost Scotty?" Kevin asked.

"My phone, I think... Aw crap."

"What is it?" Avi's tone didn't sound to impressed.

"I left my phone at the house. And it's got all the notes we made last night on it."

The group gave a collective groan. Avi frowned and turned us around. 

We pulled into Avi's driveway and I jumped out. I bounded up the steps and unlocked the door as fast as possible. I strode into the house trying to remember where I had last had my phone. Think, Scott, think. Of course! I must have left it in the spare room where Grace was staying after I had given her my number. I raced over to it and gently opened the door.

"Hey Grace can you believe it? I'm such a moron that I managed to-" I spoke while entering the room but stopped when I saw her lying on the bed. I smiled, happy that she was resting. I let her be and hunted around the room for my phone. Unable to find it, I decided to wake up Grace and ask her if she had seen it.

"Grace?"

Nothing.

I walked over and shook her slightly.

"Gracie, wake up. I need to to help me find-" I stopped as something rolled out of her hand and landed on my foot. 

I bent down and picked up the cylindrical object. My heart froze.

It was a pill bottle.

And it was empty.

I dropped it and started shaking Grace harder.

"Gracie, come on wake up, please don't do this, no no no no no..."

Nothing.

Panic started to rise in my chest. I ran out of the room and out to the car.

The others were waiting impatiently.

"Finally, now let's g-"

"Guys, it's Grace. She won't wake up." I interrupted Avi.

For a second they all froze, just like I had. Then Mitch jumped out of the car and ran inside without a second thought. As the rest of us chased after him we could hear him as his tone got louder and more panicked.

"Grace, please wake up. Don't leave me, please Grace I'm begging you. God don't leave, wake up please Grace!" 

We burst into the room. Mitch was kneeling beside the bed and was gripping Grace's hand and stroking her hair.

Avi pulled out his phone and called for an ambulance. Kirstie grabbed his hand and started muttering.

"No, no, no, no, no, God please, no."

Kevin started to mumble a prayer.

"Please God don't take this girl from us, she has so much to live for..."

I spotted my phone lying under the bedside table. I grabbed and texted Jonathan telling him about what had happened.

And then we all waited for the ambulance to show up, hoping and praying that we weren't too late.