Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Mitch's P.O.V

We stayed at Esther's house for about a week. She managed to find an old camp bed in her garage, so now Grace slept on that on the floor of Esther's room. It was great to have a place that we could stay without having to worry about Michael, but by the morning of the sixth day, we were all going a littlle crazy.

 "Avi! Watch out for that glass-" Esther's warning came too late as Avi's hand swung round and knocked the innocent glass off the table. Everyone winced as the fragile glass shattered on the ground. In the uncomfortable silence that followed, I glanced up at Esther. She sighed, trying to mask the annoyed expresion on her face.
"I think you guys need to get out of the house for a bit."
After we helped to clean up the glass off of the floor, we all (except Esther) headed out to the park.

On the way there, Grace started up a game called 'categories'. The way it worked is that Grace would start by saying a word and then Kirstie would say whatever came into her head first when she thought of that word. Then it would be Avi, then Scott, then Kevin and then me, with each of us saying whatever word we thought of with the previous persons word. It went something like this:
"Fish."
"Water."
"Ocean."
"Land."
"Earth."
"Grass."
"Plants."
"Vegtables."
"Vegetarians."
"Food."
"Cake."
"Birthdays."
"Party."
"21st."
"Drunk."
"Unconcious."
"Sleep."
"Bed."
"Blankets."
You get the idea. Anyway, before you know it we were at the park. I started a game of tag by tapping Kirstie on the arm. Laughing, she chased after Scott. After a while of almost everyone getting tagged except for Grace and I, Avi finally managed to tag me. Looking around I realised that Grace was the closest. Grinning evilly at her, I sprinted after her lithe figure as she raced away.
I followed her as she led the way into the wood that was near the park. After running for a bit, I lost sight of her. Soon after that I came to a small clearing. Looking around warily, I jogged slowly into the centre.
"Grace?" I called out. Sure she was probably fine, but she didn't know her way around here. Just then I heard soft footsteps behind me. Recognising them as Grace's I pretended not to notice. Instead I waited until she was right behind me before turning aroung and tackling her to the ground.
"And your punishment for attempting to scare me is..." I annouced grandly. "Endless tickling!"
She squrimed and shrieked beneath me as I proceeded to carry out the punishment.
"No.. Mitch-aaargh! Stop! Pl-please! Mitch!"
Eventually, I stopped. Looking down at her I felt something stir inside me. Her curly brown hair was fanning out behind her, her face was flushed from either running or me tickling her or both. Before I knew it, I was leaning closer and my heart was beating faster. I had always been one to act on my feelings, as Kirstie said.
Her big, green orbs widened as I moved closer. I suddenly realised how close we were. I almost wanted to move away but at the same time I wanted to move closer. So I did. She closed her eyes so I closed mine. I felt her breath on my face. Our lips brushed lightly and then...
"Grace? Mitch? You guys here?"
I quickly rolled off of her, jumping up just before the others entered the clearing.
"There you are!" Kirstie cried.
"What were you doing?" Avi questioned.
Grace and I exchanged glances. I couldn't think of anything to say but luckily Grace came to the rescue.
"I tried to sneak up on him and he tickled me."
Avi nodded, accepting the answer. I breathed out a small sigh of relief.
"Esther just texted me." Avi informed us. "She says we sould head back now."
I nodded and then helped Grace up.
As we walked back to Esther's house, I could feel Kirstie and Scott's gazes on my back. I knew that they would corner me as soon as they had the chance.

Scott's P.O.V

No sooner had we walked in the door of Esther's house when Mitch said,
"I'm gonna go check Twitter."
Kirstie and I shared a look and then followed him to the spare bedroom. We both sat down on either side of him on the bed and said in unison,
"What actually happened?"
"What do you mean?" He didn't look at us when he spoke.
Kirstie rolled her eyes.
"We mean with Grace! In the woods! It's obvious that you two didn't just tickle each other."
"Well, at least to us it is. You may have the others fooled but don't think you can get past us Mitchell Grassi." I added with a giggle.
He sighed.
"Promise not to tell anyone? Not even Kevin or Avi or Esther?"
"Cross my heart and hope to die." I swore and Kirst nodded."We- I mean, I almost kissed her."
Kirstie squealed and hugged him and I pointed at him and started jumping up and down on the bed.
"I knew it!" I shouted. Mitch and Kirstie shushed me.
"You serious?" I spoke more quietly.
He nodded.
Kirstie and I both sqealed again.
"You guys would make the cutest couple!" Kirstie whispered happily.
"But that's just the thing!" Mitch cried, jumping up from the bed and pacing up and down the room.
"What is?" I was confused.
"I'm so confused. She's the first girl I think I've liked since I was 14."
Kirstie began bouncing up and down on her knees.
"Maybe... Maybe you're bisexual with a preferance for boys?"
Both Mitch and I stopped and looked at her.
"You know Kirstie, that has got to be one of the smartest things you've ever said."

This of course, resulted with her throwing her shoe at my face.