Chapter 38: The past is yet to come.

Jessie's POV

As an artist I had been away from home for many many times already. Flights, shows, meetings, interviews, events, meet and greets all over the world. It was what I did, it was part of who I am. Still, coming home had never felt so good as today. What was kind of weird, considering I hadn't even been out of town this time. Nevertheless, it felt like I had been away for ages. I got all emotional as soon as I set foot on beloved ground again. The smell of home evoking more feelings than ever before.

"Hey, buddy" I heard Rose call behind me in a warm, cheery voice. Olaf ran to her like a happy chicken, but froze when he arrived in front of her and held his head a little to the side, staring at the human ball that was curled up in the baby carrier hanging on Rose's arm. I held my breath. For a second the tension was sharp as a knive. But as soon as Olaf started wagging his tale again and softly pushed his furry head against the baby carrier, a relieved sigh escaped from my chest. I kneeled down beside him and patted his back.

"Look", I said. "From now on you're gonna have to share that spot on the couch, okay? And no face licking, farting in her area or eating baby socks. You got me?" Rose snorted at that. Olaf licked my nose in reply.

"Was that a 'yes' or a 'forget about that'?" I asked while looking up to Rose. She shook her head at me and then headed into the living room. I casually shrugged my shoulders at the dog and we followed after her.

"Oh my god, honey, look!" I heard Rose call from inside just a few seconds later. I just popped my head around the corner and saw her standing at the kitchen table. She had placed the baby carrier on the table and was looking at something I couldn't see. I walked towards her, and as I wrapped my arms around her from behind, I laid eyes on what she was so amazed by.

"Wowww", I said in awe. We were staring at a huge bouquet of flowers in magnificent colours. Rose picked a card from between two lilies and started reading out loud.

"Welcome home to our favourite couple of fresh parents and their blooming baby daughter. We wish you wonderful family moments! Hugs and kisses, Cath, Collin and Matt. PS: Olaf has been one pain in the ass, but sadly enough you can't do anything else but love him. We'll send you the bill though..." We both had to smile at that.

"You didn't warn them for his want of destroying usefull stuff, did you?" I asked her.

"Yeah, I might have forgotten about that in the moment." Rose laughed. I hid my face in the crook of her neck and smiled against her skin.

"I love you", I whispered before kissing her neck. She rested her head back against mine and closed her eyes.

"I love you too. And I'm so happy to be home again, with you and our beautiful creature."

"Shit's just gotten real though..." I mumbled. I looked down at Ella who was sucking on some of her tiny fingers in her sleep. Rose turned around and wrapped her arms around my neck. Her eyes were literally sparkling with happiness, but still that couldn't cover the fact she was worried about me, because of what I had just said.

"Are you scared?" She asked in a silent tone. I bit my lip. Honestly? I had no idea. How could you be scared from having such a wonderful family? But then again, there still was my job... And maybe that was the exact answer to that question. All of a sudden I felt so torn between those two sides again, like this house consisted of that negative energy. My silence, which lasted a bit too long, seemed to be enough as an answer for her.

"It will be fine, Jess", Rose tried to assure me, as if she could read my mind. "We'll take it one step at the time. No need to run, but no need to stay behind either." I forced a smile at that.