Chapter 12

Derek's POV

As soon as Stiles leaves, the Sheriff turns to me. "Perfect timing for him to leave, hm?"

I bob my head in agreement. "Yeah, so now we have plenty of time to do our chores."

"And maybe even get a bite to eat too! There's this place by the waterfront that has the best bread sticks. Perfect for any date, or as we're doing, a father and son-in-law outing!"

Sheriff Stilinski, in a casual outfit of a white cotton t-shirt with a maroon scarf as covering over some winter ocean dark jeans, grabs his car keys, jingling them at me, throwing a smile in my direction.

"It's been one day and you're really into the Christmas mood." I let out a laugh, his infectious behavior creeping through my veins.

"Well, when I decided to start doing Christmas again, I couldn't help but act like this. Before Claudia passed, Christmas was our favorite holiday, and I would constantly act like this, as would she, and her mood was always infectious. Such a merry time of year. I doubt Stiles remembers it, which explains why he's also confused by my behavior."

Mr. Stilinski looks down for a moment, an expression of sadness overriding his features at the mention of his late wife, but before long he's back to his merry mode.

"All set to go? Wouldn't want to just sit here wasting precious Christmas shopping time! Plus I want to be here before Stiles gets home so I can hide the gifts to wrap them."

"I'm good to go when you are!" I shrug my black fleece coat on over my gray v-neck shirt, keeping myself warm from the winter wind.

As a werewolf I don't really need it that much, but it looks pretty damn good on me.

At least that's what Stiles tells me. And I guess I have to listen to him.

Sometimes.

I don't really like fleece to begin with.

I'm more of a leather person.

As in, leather jackets for days.

Coat on and by the door already, I get called back to the present.

"Stop your daydreaming Hale, and let's go before I leave I get arrested for abandoning an animal out in the cold."

Following the Dad out the door, we make our way towards his car, a soft snowfall brushing the Earth. "Firstly, you're the Sheriff, so unless you're arresting yourself, I don't think you'll be getting arrested anytime soon, and two, no. Just...no."

Stiles' Dad laughs as he lowers himself into the vehicle on the passenger side. I throw him a questioning look, since he's the one still holding the keys.

"What? Can a werewolf not drive a car? I'm too old and tired to drive in non-emergencies these days."

I click my tongue at his attempt at another werewolf joke. "Yes werewolves can drive. I drive a Camaro, remember? And you're not too old, you just don't want to drive. Which is fine, because I love driving." My lips curl into a devious smile.

Not missing a beat, he throws me the keys and closes the door in my face. Shrugging, I jump, sliding across the hood of the car, a quicker way to the driver's side, and I easily slip inside the vehicle and onto the comfy polyester seat.

Sheriff looks over at me, eyebrows raised, lips upwards in an amused smile. "Wasn't aware this was a James Bond movie."

I pause before answering, starting the car in the process. "And I wasn't aware this was a werewolf roasting."

This earns a chuckle from the passenger. "Touché"

Backing from the driveway, Mr. Stilinski fumbles with the radio, turning it from one Christmas station to the next. Satisfied with the station on, he sits back in his seat, looking out the windshield.

Silence beckons us the entire ride to the stores on the other side of town, the opposite direction from the mall.

As I'm pulling into the parking lot, the silence is broken. "So do you know what you're going to get for my son? I know I asked you earlier but maybe you've thought of something?"

Parking in a spot I park the car, killing the engine. "No, not yet. I've been thinking about it, I even asked him about it, and I couldn't come up with anything. I was thinking though, to get him something he can use or wear, so it's not completely useless. You get what I'm saying?"

He nods his head. "Yeah, I totally get it, trust me, shopping for Claudia for Christmas was like trying to make food for a vegan, stressful and hard, but it can be done."

"I hope, because today is really going to be the only day I'm able to go shopping for him, and if I can't come up with something, I don't know what I'm going to do."

A hand is placed on my shoulder in comfort, with wise words following the gesture. "You've got this, don't fret. And I'm here to help."

"Right." I give the Sheriff a smile, receiving one back.

"Ready kiddo? I'm getting older the longer we're in here."

A snort escapes me before I have time to suppress it. "Yeah, old man, I'm ready when you are. I must be getting younger the longer we're in here."

"Oh, good one Hale. Come on. And don't forget to lock my car."

He gets out, retracting his seat belt back into place and closing his door gently, wrapping his tan jacket more around him as his human body braces the cold, our breaths coming out in billowing white puffs around us, like a concealing veil.

Locking the car, the two of us make our way to the warm storefronts, the smell of crackling frozen water wafting through our nostrils, a reminder of the end of the land and the beginning of the vast sea.