Chapter 2

Stiles' POV

Dinner is awkward that night.

My Dad had brought home Chinese food from the local joint up the road on his way home from a good day at work. I guess he didn't expect to find his son being turned on by his boyfriend and practically having sex in the living room.

"So how was your day, it being the first day of your two week vacation?" My Dad asks, taking a bite of his Chow Mein, completely dismissing what he just witnessed with Derek and me.

Derek is piling food onto his plate, looking between my father and me, a confused look on his face as my Dad waits for me to answer. I clear my throat and look towards my Dad. "Uh, it was good. I actually got some sleep last night because I didn't have to wake up so goddamn early." I laugh, trying to lighten the mood.

To my luck, it worked, for my Dad laughs as well, nodding his head in agreement. "Yes, I remember in my days that when it came to Winter break I was always looking forward to the extra sleep."

"We also attempted to put up some decorations, with what little you guys have." Derek adds, looking dead at my Dad. He looks back right at Derek, neither breaking the contact.

"I noticed, and it's looking good so far, but since I knew what we had, I decided we should to go to the store and gather some more decorations, plus new stockings because the ones we have are a mess."

His answer takes me by surprise. "Wait, you want to go get more? I thought you never liked Christmas Dad?"

He breaks his eye contact with Derek, who's eating softly beside me, as he brings his golden brown eyes in my direction. "I know I've always been a downer about Christmas these last few years, but I realized something late last night while I was sitting alone in my bed: your mother loved Christmas and was always so festive about it, I don't think she would want to see us being so non-festive without her and not keep her traditions alive."

I beam, my lips creating a smile that infects everyone else in the room. "We already have a tree, so that was a good place to start!" I say, finally excited about seeing my Dad excited about Christmas.

"We may have a tree, but all the lights that were supposed to wrap around it are dead." Derek adds, chewing and swallowing a forkful of Chinese.

"Then I'll add that to the list of things I'll get at the store. After dinner, do you boys want to help me make a list of what we think we'll need?" The Sheriff asks, as his eyes ignited with happiness as he looks between my boyfriend and me, both of us nodding.

"Yeah sure! That sounds like some quality bonding time with us!" I chuckle, looking at my Dad and then at Derek, finally feeling the gift of Christmas coming soon.

My Dad nods and looks down at his plate of steaming food, a smirk on his pink lips, his eyes crinkling. "Not like the bonding times you two have..."

Derek and I are silent at his comment, as I hear Derek literally drop his fork, the sound of clanging metal on an aluminum floor the only sound to be heard throughout the silent house aside from the only signs of us being alive.

The Sheriff's smirk grows into a grin as he bursts our laughing, his eyes closing and his laugh wrinkles appearing at the edges of his mouth and eyes.

I stare at him with shock, my mouth agape. "A-ah. About that...sorry you had to see." I wince, remembering back only a half hour ago.

"I didn't see anything. All I could see was Derek's back, so be thankful for that." Dad opens his eyes, wiping laughing tears from his eyes with a napkin, the paper soaking up the liquid, turning the paper dark. 

"It won't happen again sir." I hear Derek's deep voice speak softly. I turn my head and see he's looking at my Dad with a sheepish expression on his face, his skin a light shade of pink. Is he embarrassed? 

Derek? 

Embarrassed? 

Oh I need to keep this moment locked away for good times.

"It's fine, trust me don't be ashamed, because neither of you two should be. Plus, I was just like you two when I was your age, Stiles' mother and I had some quite fun times when her parents weren't home, and I wasn't surprised that I walked into that, although I do apologize for cutting such fun time short. There will be more opportunities for you to finish." He winks at us as he raises his glass of water to his lips, taking a slow swallow as Derek and I just stare at him.

He sets the glass down. "If you two keep your mouths open like that, you'll let a fly create a nest in there. Close your mouths and eat. I didn't buy this food for nothing."

His words snap us out of our dazes as we curtly nod. I pick up my fork and dig in like I haven't eaten in days, Derek getting up to put the dirty one from the floor in the sink and to retrieve a new one.

Derek hesitates as he looks at the Sheriff. "Thank you." Is all he says.

"For what?" Dad counters back.

Derek's words are filled with sincerity, his smile confirming it. "For accepting us as we are."

"I'm your Dad, of course I accept you two as you are. Now I know I'm not your actual Father Derek, but I think Father-In-law is pretty damn close. Now eat, we have a list to make and execute."