Chapter 15

Derek's POV

December 18th - 7 days until Christmas

When Stiles finally lumbers down the stairs from hiding my present -- something I'll look for later -- his expression is unreadable, though he does seem to be a little on edge, if not a little irked.

Shit.

Is that because of me?

I hope my joking around didn't make him mad.

This is why dicking around isn't my thing.

Then again I'm not used to this whole "Family Christmas" nonsense.

It's been over 6 years since we, I, celebrated Christmas.

Then again my family always called me Scrooge and made me do reading impressions of him from the classic "A Christmas Carol."

Ha-ha.

I hand Stiles an already made mug of double chocolate hot cocoa, marshmallows and whipped cream covering the steaming hot mug, a classic favorite of his I've learned from his Dad, and get a grin from him in response.

"Now this is what I needed."

Just as soon as I noticed it, Stiles' unreadable expression turns back into his one of sarcastic joy.

Taking a seat at the table in between his Dad and me, Stiles takes must anticipated sips of his cocoa. "So what's our special plan for the next few days? Preferably for tomorrow?"

His Dad gives him a shrug. "Who knows? I'm on call, so I might be called into work, so I'll be spending the day here. But if you two have any plans, go for it."

I look over at Stiles, wondering just what he's thinking, his heart rate steady and even, nothing off to be detected by my werewolf senses. This makes me more confused about the question he asked.

Stiles casually sits back, mug in hand. "Oh, I was just wondering because Scotty asked me to come over sometime in the next few days to help him and his mom decorate the house while she's working."

"They still haven't decorated their house? Christmas in a week!"

"I know. It's just that between work and school work over the break, Scott hasn't been able to do it, and neither had Melissa. She's been working double shifts, which is time and a half for her since it's the holiday season, and Scott has been picking up extra shifts at the clinic because Deaton needs all the help he can get, and all he has is Scott. So I am going to be the nice friend and help him."

"Can't Allison help him?" Mr. Stilinski takes a sip out of his mug as well, while I sit there and just listen to the causal back and forth between my two favorite people.

"She and the rest of the Argents are visiting Chris's Dad for the week to celebrate Christmas. They won't be back until Christmas Eve."

"Ah I see."

Stiles just nods, now just enjoying his hot chocolate as silence befalls us. After a few sips, Stiles' mouth opens again. "So can I go?"

"Why can't you? You have a car and you're old enough to keep your human ass from getting killed."

"You're right about the first one, but I'm not so sure about the second one."

The three of us share a laugh over Stiles and his humor.

"I'll follow you around all day if you want me to." I smirk at him, winking along with the creepy mouth movement.

"Uhm. I love you and everything but please never make that face again, and I'll pass on the following thing as well. I don't need you to turn into a stalker."

"I'm already your stalker. I watch you sleep."

Stiles goes silent at that, knowing the statement is true and not really meant to be creepy, but creepy in the context of the conversation.

"Alright boys, that's enough. We all know you two stalk each other in a loving way." Stiles' Dad interjects, all of us bursting out laughing again.

"Loving. Sureeeeee." I wink at the two Stilinskis.

Another round of laughter racks through the three of us, leaving Stiles breathless, Mr. Stilinski silently laughing and me close to snorting. Not something I'm proud of.

Giving ourselves a minute to compose and piece us back together, quiet follows the joyous moment, the silence a comfortable one, and not at all stifling.

Sheriff leans forward, resting his elbows on the table, looking from Stiles and me, his cheeks flushed from laughing so much. "Now, is anyone else besides me in the mood for some dinner?"