Chapter 1

Aquamarine Argos

EMBERHELM, VRINIAN

Standing at the wooden door in front of her, Marnie places her palm softly and quietly against it. The ornate door had been giant and intimidating when she first arrived twelve years ago. She had been out of her element, a commoner child amongst nobles. It took a few years for her to feel more at home since her own had been destroyed. Now, standing here, she is not the same little girl who followed the maids around, eager to please and desperate for any sort of distraction. She is not even just a maid anymore. When the baroness' head maid stepped down from her position, only one person qualified was determined enough to step in. That person is Aquamarine Argos.

She takes a deep breath, pulling her hand away as she exhales, and taps on the door with her knuckles. The baroness is quick to answer. "Enter, Marnie," the voice within calls with a tone of gentleness. Never once has Yvette ever mistaken who was knocking at her door. She is the baroness' head maid, and she is the only one permitted to do so, apart from her guard and husband. At this time of the morning, guessing it is Marnie is a given.

"Good morning, Yvette." Marnie chimes as she enters the semi-dark room while heading straight for the curtains in routine. It is nearly always the same morning routine: she would knock, enter, open the curtains, aid her in getting out of bed, and then by a simple snap of her fingers, the under-maids enter to start preparing her for the day. "Is there anything you need before they enter?" Marnie moves to stand beside Yvette, who sits on the edge. By the look of the baroness, Marnie can tell she got little sleep.

"Oh yes!" Yvette smirks with a sideways glance up at the younger woman. "Please, I beg you to get this child out of me." Both women share a short laugh between friends, and then the elder motions for the younger to let the under-maids in. Instantly, Marnie gives a sharp snap of her fingers, and the doors open a second later to a handful of busy servants. She eyes every movement the ladies make, for if one thing goes wrong, she must fix it. They are quiet as they work, for they are not allowed to talk unless spoken to, and most definitely are never to speak to the baroness. If one has a question, they are to ask Marnie, who then asks the baroness, for that is how Yvette likes things done. She does not want more than one person talking to her at a time, making it her head maid who speaks.

It is a quiet day today, Marnie knows. Breakfast is served in an hour in the dining hall. Baron Castian has requested his wife's attendance at the meeting with a group of disputing citizens. He does understand that if she does not feel up to it in her condition, she need not go. With her going into labor any day, her regular routine has been adapted to more suitable past times: reading, embroidering, and afternoon tea with visitors who call. "Heir Baronet returns in the early afternoon. There is a small gathering in the Hall to welcome him home. Shall I set out the purple gown?"

"It does amaze me how you can remember what my son's favorite color is." At Yvette's words, the maids snicker, but Marnie, with a stern look, is quick to get them back in line and about their tasks. Marnie does not mind Yvette's teasing, but she wishes she would not do so when others are present, for they might take her words as something they are not.

"I know the favorite color of all your children, Baroness. Leticia's is blue like the ocean. Thomas' is green like the evergreen trees in the garden, and Akamus' is orange like the sunset." The baron and baroness have seven children in total, with another on the way to make eight. Roland is the eldest, followed by Leticia and Thomas. When Aquamarine came to live at the castle, Yvette was expecting Akamus. His birth Marnie aided in, as well as the deliveries of Clarissa, who is eleven, Henrietta, who is nine, and Benjamin, who is six. Yvette always expressed her pleasure in having a large family. Sometimes she admits that seven with an eighth on the way might be a bit more than she bargained for. Marnie often wonders how she can do it, being in her forties and still popping children out like a bunny in spring.