Chapter 27

Queen Aquamarine Andry of Sarkin

IRON CITY, SARKIN

"Are you going to daydream the day away?" Rena's voice pulls Marnie's blissful mind from the clouds and back to the present. She is standing beside the bed. Her hands are on her hips with a stern gaze but the ghost of a smile on her lips. "This trip is your idea."

"I know, I know." Marnie stands and goes over to her bed, glancing at the clothing sprawled out across it. "You strongly spoke against me going, but as you have come to realize, I am quite stubborn, and nothing is going to keep me away."

Rena makes a noise that only annoyed people make and starts folding a dress, though when Marnie glances at her, she smiles with a shake of her head. "I saw the physician visited you this morning." The statement is open-ended and a shoo-in for a response. Nothing escapes Rena, and she will find out everything anyway, so she might as well just tell her. Marnie appreciated the fact that though Rena will seek out secrets, they will always stop with her.

"He says the baby is in a good position and it shouldn't be more than two weeks before the baby's arrival." Marnie smiles as she thinks of how soon it will be before she gets to hold the long-awaited baby. "In some ways, it seems like only yesterday that I found out about the baby, and in others, it feels like years. I am so ready to greet this little one."

Rena sets down one dress and glances at her. "Yes, this baby will be spoiled rotten by all of us."

"Was Elyas spoiled as a baby?" Marnie muses while imagining baby Elyas being fawned over by several people.

"Relentlessly." Rena grumbles. "I couldn't take him anywhere without the staff stopping me every five feet in the hopes of a smile or laugh."

"What about Callan?" Elyas' sister is still a touchy subject in the castle. Yet, some remember and are willing to speak of the few memories that remain.

"She was the firstborn." Rena hesitates for a second and then sits down on the edge of the bed. "She was spoiled differently. Everyone felt it was their duty to love her, and she grew up thinking that she could have anything she wanted. It makes sense why she rebelled. When the first time she was refused anything, she took it anyway and ran." Rena looks up at Marnie as though trying to get someone else to understand. "She loved Elyas and was the worst of us in attention paid to him. Leaving him behind was probably her only regret."

"Are you sure you are just staying for the day?" Rena sighs, and Marnie knows that she wants to change the subject. Both are silent for a bit while picking out an outfit for the occasion.

Marnie has had to answer these questions several times since it was agreed that she is going. "Yes, Ivory is flying me in that morning and will be flying me out before dark the same day. If something goes wrong, or I start to show signs of labor, Ivory has strict instructions that no matter what I say, she is to bring me straight back."

"Are you not afraid of who will be there?" The elderly woman questions, and Marnie gazes at her long enough to see the genuine concern. Like always, Rena knows everything.

"I have been told that they will not be in attendance, so there is nothing to worry about." Marnie gives a sudden laugh as the baby gives her stomach a nudge.

"When it comes to you, Marnie, I am always worried." The remark is only half sarcastic. "Are you still having nightmares?"

Marnie's smile falters as she thinks back on them. "They are more like warnings of something coming. Everyone can feel something brewing, but it is almost as if I can see it coming. The peace treaty between Vrinian and Sarkin will be signed in three weeks. I know Elyas and Antonio will do everything they can to keep that happening. It is Rowley, I fear."