Chapter 3

Aquamarine Argos

EMBERHELM, VRINIAN

An urgent meeting calls the eldest of the Castian family and several others to the Great Hall after Marnie helps Yvette change. Assured it would only be a few minutes, and then she could go, Marnie returns to the nursery to play with the children who were too young to attend. She loves watching the children; watching them grow and change. The baroness' children in attendance at the meeting are Roland and Thomas, for wherever the elder goes, so does the younger. Those than remain behind include Leticia, Akamus, Clarissa, Henrietta, and Benjamin. "Marnie," Benjamin calls, pulling her attention towards the center of the room that is covered by blocks of all shapes and sizes. "Look at my castle!" The six-year-old points at his masterpiece with giddy excitement.

"Your castle looks mighty strong, Benji." She returns with a smile.

"It is strong." He claims proudly, marveling at it in wonder. "I bet even that mean old dragon couldn't knock it down. It would surrender."

At the mention of the dragon, Marnie's smile falters ever so slightly as a hollow ache in her chest forms. "I bet it would."

Sitting in a corner, Marnie notices Akamus put down his book gaining more interest in where his brother's conversation just turned too. "Marnie, is it true you stared the dragon down?" Marnie only nods, trying not to show how much that memory still haunts her. The last thing she wants is for the dragon to haunt the children's nightmares as well. "Why didn't the dragon kill you? I mean, I am obviously glad it didn't, but why did it spare you?"

"I don't know." She answers honestly, earning the attention of the rest of the children. "You need not worry about the dragon. No one has seen it in twelve years."

"But why did it attack?" Clarissa questions in curiosity. At eleven years old, she is always the one getting into mischief. She always rebels against tradition, questioning things people shouldn't and doing things young girls should definitely not be doing. One never knew what to expect from her.

Again, Marnie just shakes her head. Across the room, Leticia fiddles with her hair falling out of place. When Letty meets her gaze, she smiles and comes to sit in front of Marnie, allowing her to fix the mess.

"Does a dragon need an excuse to kill people?" Henrietta looks at Clarissa like she is crazy for thinking it had a plan. "It is a terrible creature doing what nature made it to do."

To Marnie, Letty is the younger sister she never had, and Marnie is the older sister Letty never had. All the children are special to Marnie in their own way, but her connection to Letty ran more profound than the others. Knowing that Letty Castian will soon be married to Baron Cyrus Rikon of Rivergarde, Morith saddens Marnie a bit. She was there when the betrothal was made and became a confidant to Letty about the subject ever since. Cyrus is Queen Allisandra's nephew. Even though it is a perfect match between Vrinian and Morith, Marnie still hates thinking of Letty marrying someone she doesn't love. The subject seems to drop, and Marnie focuses on Letty's hair, styling the way she likes without the young girl even saying.

"Marnie, what does indebted mean?" Akamus questions, looking up from his book at her, but she can see that his mind is somewhere else.

Marnie continues to twist and braid Letty's hair but answers him honestly. "It means that someone owes something to someone else. It is usually money, but it could be services."

"Who are you indebted to?" He returns after hesitating. She meets the young boy's gaze. "I heard Mother and Father talking about it."

"Well, Zircon and I both are indebted to your parents." She is used to the questions of children, but hardly ever does the topic stray too personal.