Chapter 17

Baron Cyrus Rikon of Rivergarde, Morith

IRON CITY, SARKIN

Cyrus watches as Elyas offers his hand to Marnie. He knows what his friend is trying to do in showing the guests that Marnie belongs here. He is showing them that he cares for her. When Marnie walked into the room, Cyrus hardly recognized her. Nothing could have prepared him for the change in Marnie. He thought Marnie was a prisoner, so did many other people, but right now, she belongs here.

Marnie reaches out and takes Elyas' hand, knowing full well the weight behind it. It is a bold move on Elyas' part, but it is even more so for her to accept. By taking her hand, Elyas is showing that she is his equal. Never, in realm history, has this been done between a royal and a foreign commoner. Though, perhaps, anyone with eyes could see it was coming. Cyrus should have seen this coming. It will be hard to separate them now, and he knows it is coming. No one deserves to be happy more than these two, but the whole realm will crumble if they unite.

Aquamarine moves to stand next to Elyas, and Cyrus gets a real look at her, as does everyone else. She truly seems to belong here, like she was made to be the queen of Sarkin. Elyas would finally have someone in his life who he can truly love and be happy with, someone who won't leave, not willingly. Cyrus doesn't know if Zircon did show up if she would go with her brother or stay. If she chooses to stay, she will be queen, undoubtedly. If she goes, she will have her family and her home. She can't have both. Ironically, Marnie is the only thing keeping Elyas from going to war against Vrinian. She is also the reason he might just have to go to war with Vrinian. Would he let her go, or would he fight for her?

Cyrus watches, with the rest of the crowd, as Elyas dances with no one but Marnie. They are in their own world now, a world that is about to get very messy and chaotic. The only way to keep a war from happening is for Elyas to marry Marnie before her brother comes for her, but there isn't time. They have had months together, and they may have this one night, but then everything is going to crumble.

***

Aquamarine Argos

IRON CITY, SARKIN

The ache in Marnie's feet creeps up her legs by the second hour into the celebration. She supposes she had been asked to dance by several suitors, but she realized later than she should have that Elyas was picky about whom he let near her. She understood it was a precaution. Though there were many confusing emotions throughout the time of being in the ballroom, she didn't have to search hard to know that she appreciated the care he took to keep her safe. It took hours before Marnie succeeded in getting Elyas alone. Sure, they danced and sat together, but that is King Elyas Andry and not the real Elyas that peeks out only around her.

"You are awfully quiet." Marnie can hear the nervous edge to his words. It is true; she has hardly spoken anything. She laughed and nodded along to keep the conversation going among strangers, but she could never bring herself to form words. She realizes now that Elyas must think she isn't enjoying the celebration.

Marnie gives a soft laugh and a small smile as they walk through the courtyard, casually gazing at the stars and then at their surroundings. She supposes that if she dares to look at Elyas, she might forget to speak entirely. "I am just processing. I have never been to such a party before, so I am just taking it all in." Before Elyas can express his gladness at her answer, Marnie decides to ask him the question she has been dying to ask him all afternoon. If she doesn't do so now, she might never get up enough courage. "Elyas..." She stops walking and hesitates, trying to form the right words. "This dress...where did you get it?"