Chapter 11

Princess Tatiana Casan of Khaerid

EMBERHELM, VRINIAN

The city's devastation from the attack days before is instantly visible when the royal travelers breakthrough to the valley. Antonio is ahead of the group, and he pulls up short to stare down at the city below. Tatiana knows him well enough now to know what is going through his mind. He believes the destruction is his fault. She had told him otherwise many times during their journey, but his guilt refused to let him accept it.

Dominic rides up beside the two of them, with Jessa close behind. "We need to see Baron Castian first, and then we can distribute supplies." They have come well prepared, despite the short notice of the trip. With the group of four royals, fifty soldiers volunteered to aid in helping Emberhelm while driving carts of household supplies and food. It isn't much, but it is something.

Dominic and Jessamine take the lead, and Tatiana watches as Antonio's distracted mind urges his horse forward after them. "This isn't your fault, Toni." She tries, pulling her horse close to his and taking one of his hands in hers gently. "The people love you. They will understand."

The prince shakes his head while refusing to look at her. "They are going to hate me."

"No." Tia pulls back on her horse's reigns, and after a second, Antonio does the same, only then looking back at her. "You were following orders, and you tried to help them. You nearly died saving this city. If they can't see that, then they are too grief-stricken to see the truth." She moves a few steps closer to him. "Even if everyone in all the realm of Zoshan hates you, there is still one person who doesn't: me." A flash of emotion crosses his face, and he has to look away from her to stop himself from crying. "You have me, Toni. You have your brother and Jessa. We love you. I love you. No matter what, that won't change."

Tatiana is sure that if they weren't on horses, he would kiss her in plain view of the entire city of Emberhelm and the soldiers traveling with them. Instead, he reaches out, takes her hand in his, and kisses it lightly, earning a few hoots from the soldiers behind. The cheers cause Tia's cheeks to redden and a smile to appear on Antonio's face, the first in several long hours. "We should catch up to them." He suggests while gesturing to the future king and queen, who is a few paces ahead. He drops her hand lightly, and Tia nods in agreement.

The city grows closer, but as she rides, she can't help but stare in horror at the burned landscape. She had heard stories of the legendary city and its beauty, but now it is a wreck. A few patchy areas had been lucky, but the fields outside the town were destroyed for the most part. For some citizens, these fields were their life. Tia can't help but question how those people will eat when the winter sets in.

The ground is wet from midnight rain, and the horses galloped through the mud puddles, parting a fog like a boat on the water. No, it wasn't fog. It was smoke. Hours after the attack, the fields still simmer. It is a grey, dreary haze as if the sky reflects the citizens' spirits below. Tia happens to glance at Antonio to see that he can't help but look at the scenery, but it isn't horror on his face; it is self-disgust. No matter what she can say, it will never be enough to ease his mind.

As the trumpets sounded, the travelers entered the city. The tones vibrate off the surrounding mountains in a melancholy song. Emberhelm's castle lies at the far end of the city, across a bridge, but people became aware of their presence as they made their way. Some people thanked Prince Antonio for fighting the dragon, and others begged for his aide. Heir Prince Dominic receives several bows and curtsies. People reach out to lightly touch Jessa's dress as if it were some holy symbol giving a blessing to those brave enough to do so. Children ran with the carts of supplies, knowing help had come at last. Tia can't help but feel anger towards the Vrinian king and queen. Where had they been when these people's homes had burned, and families died? How dare they not send help sooner?