Chapter 4

Aquamarine Argos

EMBERHELM, VRINIAN

Marnie whimpers as she stares up into her brother's blank face. The heat of the necklace pulses up the chain to her fingers, but she can't let go. In fear, she latches onto her brother's hand, knowing the last time he disappeared and left her alone. He doesn't seem to notice the small action as he stares at her, or rather, behind her.

"Run, Marnie!" He yells while turning and pulling her by the hand along with him. She doesn't have to look back, and she doesn't want to look back. She already knows what she will see if she does. She can feel it, like shadows squeezing her heart, willing her to look; pulling at her mind like a siren. Not again, is all she can think. "We have to get to the castle." He yells back at her, casting a glance back just long enough to see the creature gaining.

Marnie stumbles, catching herself barely before meeting the cobblestones. For a moment, all she can do is stay there, feeling as though she is ten years old again. It is almost the exact same to her; people running and screaming, fires and death, and that screeching of the dragon. It calls again, and she doesn't have the strength to continue looking away as it pulls at her mind. Slowly her head turns, and she watches as it stills, watching her always. She is lost to everything but that creature. Then there is a voice, calling out to her in a haze. It is Zircon, shaking her slightly and willing her to look at him. "We need to go, Marnie." She can barely hear him; those dark eyes haunting her in the past and present, making her relive memories she buried long ago.

She wonders about Topaz and their mother dying in the fire. Did they die quickly, or were their deaths prolonged while trapped in their fiery graves? Their father, Jonan...how many lives did he save before he was taken? "We can't save them, Marnie." Zircon calls; his voice pulling her from the terror of the past. "We can't go back and save them...to save Topaz, but we can save everyone else, right now." She turns away to look up at her brother, crouching in front of her and willing her to understand. "You and me, we can end all of this, together."

Zircon holds out his hand to her, and she takes it without hesitation. As he pulls her up, he pulls her out of the fog in her mind. They start running for several feet before he pulls up short, catching sight of a figure running past them. "Billy!" He calls, and the boy doubles back. "Get the people to the forest. Find a cave, something...anything." The boy stares up at his idol. "I need you to do this, Billy." He voices a bit softer and more confident in tone. "Get them to safety. I wouldn't ask if I thought you could not do this."

There is a fear in Billy's eyes, and Marnie feels an instinct to ease it. "You can do this, Billy. I believe in you." She tells him, earning a look of awe when she musters enough courage to give him a smile.

Billy straightens to his full height, feeling the weight of the situation. There is a determination in this young soldier that Marnie often sees in her own brother. "I won't let you down." The two share a nod of mutual respect, and then Billy darts off, calling to people as he goes. How many lives will he save today? Marnie wonders.

She lost sight of the dragon when Zircon helped her up, but as they reach the gates of the castle, they see it gliding through the valley towards it. A new fear grows inside of her as she thinks of Yvette and the children. She can't abandon them now. "We have to get into the castle." Zircon yells at the soldiers standing guard at the gates. Several people crowd around, seeing it as the only refuge available, and not knowing Billy leads people to safety. As Zircon argues with the soldiers, Marnie tries to convince citizens to seek shelter with Billy, pointing him out to them and urging them to go. Some of them leave, but a few of them stay behind. Reluctantly, the soldiers allow Zircon and Marnie through, and they dart up the steps into the safety of the castle.