Chapter 1

I move through the halls toward the cafeteria thinking about what lead me here. Two years ago I made the choice to come here. I chose a new path in life for myself. I loved the idea of this place. Dauntless was supposed to value true bravery, the small acts of bravery that test who you really are on the inside. Not the adrenaline junky, attention seeking kind of bravery. That isn't bravery, it is idiocy. True bravery is found in everyday acts. I believe this, but I don't know how many Dauntless do. Sometimes I think it might be time for me to move on and become factionless. Guess that is a decision that I'll need to make after initiation.

I decided to stay through initiation this year because I'd promised myself that I would do this for Amar. He was my trainer, mentor, and my friend. He once told me that he decided to be a trainer so that he could watch over people and help them to find out who they really are.Amar really watched over me through initiation. He guided me and helped me to become the best initiate of my year. Without him, I may already be dead. So after he died, I promised myself that I would take over for him. But I soon became more and more annoyed because Max just won't take no for an answer and Eric is freaking out because if I agree to do what Max wants me to do, I will take his position as a Dauntless leader. The thing is, I don't want to.
I enter the cafeteria and Zeke calls to me. He is probably my best friend. He is fun and funny. He has a good heart and isn't like some of the adrenaline junkie Dauntless. Don't get me wrong, he enjoys the occasional zip line trip, but he doesn't seek the rush in his day to day activity. He's a good guy, and a great friend.

He sits at the table with Shauna and Lauren. I smile and walk over to them. Shauna is also a good friend. She was Dauntless born, like Zeke, but she didn't do so well with the fighting part of our initiation. Things were done differently then. The first thing we did was go through our fear landscape, and then we learned the physical part of our training. That is what Shauna had trouble with. She was too ashamed to ask Zeke for help, so she and I would meet at night and I would teach her to fight. She got good enough that she was able to score in the top five in our initiate class. Lauren is a year older than we are. She is also a great person. She was a transfer, but I never really asked her from where she transferred.

I go and get my lunch, a burger and Dauntless cake. No meal is complete without Dauntless cake. I make my way over to my friends. Shauna is comforting Zeke, he looks distressed. Lauren is reassuring him about something.

"What's up?" I ask.

"Zeke's worried about what Uriah," Lauren whispers.

Today choosing day for the sixteen year olds throughout the city. They will all go to the hub in the city and will each choose one of the five factions, Dauntless, Abnegation, Amity, Erudite, or Candor. If they choose to leave, they are choosing their faction over their family. If they leave, the Dauntless will look at them like they are traitors and will shun them. I know why Zeke is worried. He worries because he knows that his mother is Divergent, so there is a good chance that Uriah will be. Uriah refused to tell Zeke what his results were for his aptitude test which makes Zeke worry even more. He confided this information to me a few weeks ago when I agreed to train initiates. He wants me to watch out for Uriah, just in case.

Divergent is someone that has aptitude for more than one faction. Being Divergent is considered to be very dangerous. The leaders, especially the Dauntless leaders don't like the idea of Divergent people being in their faction. If they find out that someone might be Divergent in Dauntless, they tend to disappear or meet a violent end. That is what I think happened to Amar. He watched out for the Divergent throughout initiation. He helped them to assimilate and hide themselves from the leaders.

"Zeke, Uriah will be fine. Do you have any idea what he is planning as far as what faction that he intends on choosing?"I say.

"No, he has been very tight lipped about the whole thing. He was really nervous when he was leaving with our parents earlier. I'm afraid he is going to choose to leave," Zeke says.