Chapter 11

The initiates have the day off today, which means that I also have some time off. I go to the control room for a while. Even though I don't have to be there while I'm training initiates, I choose to take shifts when I can. I just don't want anything to happen while I'm not around. I like to know that I am aware of what is going on for the security and to know that I am always capable of escaping if I need to.

After my shift, I go down to the dining hall to meet up with Zeke, Lauren, and Shauna for lunch.

"We are going zip-lining after we are done here, you want to come Four?" says Zeke.

Despite the fact that he is my best friend, he doesn't know about my fear of heights.

"No, I don't think so. I think I'm just going to hang around here today. Try to relax a bit before starting phase two of initiation tomorrow." I say. "Are you taking any of the initiates?"

"Yeah," says Shauna. "Marlene, Lynn, and Uriah will be coming and I guess anyone else that they might invite."

"Well, have fun. I'm going to head up to the tattoo parlor. Tori drew something up to add to my back. I'm going to go see what she came up with. If I like it, I'll probably be there for a while. I'll see you later." I say.

I head out of the dining hall and up to see Tori. As usual her artwork is fantastic. I already have the five factions on my back. This tattoo will pretty much cover any remaining bare skin on my back. I straddle the chair to give Tori the best canvas that I can and she gets to work.

"So Four, what's going on with you? You don't come around and see me much anymore."

"Just busy with initiation and dealing with the initiates."

"I see. Spending extra time with any of them specifically?"

I glare at her, I don't know what she thinks she knows, "No, why would I?"

"I see things, Four. I notice things. That is why I'm such a great tattoo artist and people find it so easy to talk to me."

"There is nothing going on, Tori. How about you just finish the tattoo, okay?"

XXX

A few hours later, my body is numb from the sting of the tattoo needle and sitting in one place for so long.

I make my way into the training room to work out a bit. I work on the punching bag for a while, thinking about everything that's been happening with Tris. Her fight with Molly and the way she finally stood up for herself. Her taking time to clean up the blood after Edward's accident. No one else would have done that. I was actually surprised that she got Christina to help her with that. It amazes me that she is definitely Dauntless, she is learning to fight well, and she's done well with weapons. But she's also Abnegation, she's selfless almost to a fault.

I keep working out, thinking about her and the more I think the more I begin to piece her behaviors together. I'm starting to wonder if she's Divergent. She is so much more than one thing. If she is, I hope I catch it and can protect her before someone else notices.

By the time I finish working out, it is dinner time. Zeke and the rest of them should be back from zip-lining soon.

I meet up with Zeke, Shauna, and Lauren in the dining hall for dinner. They all have the bright eyed, windblown look of zip-lining. I sit down to eat with them and notice Tris as she enters the cafeteria. Shauna waves at her as she heads over to her transfer friends. I wonder what that was all about. Then I notice that Tris has the same look as my friends, bright eyes and windblown hair.

"So how was zip-lining?" I ask.

"A total rush as always," Lauren responds. "I know the famous Four is probably over such mundane thrills, but you really should come with us next time."

Yeah right, like that is going to happen!

"Yeah, maybe next time. Who all was there?" I ask casually.

"The normal members, and about six initiates," says Lauren.

"Yeah, one of the initiates was interested in you on the train," smirks Shauna.

"Really? Why?" I ask.

"Tris was asking a lot of questions about you. She was very interested in if you have talked to me about her and what you said. She said it was because she wanted to know if her instructor was talking about her, but there was definitely something else there." Shauna gives me a knowing smile as I look across the cafeteria at Tris.

"How did you manage to end up taking a transfer with you?" I ask.

"Uriah invited her," says Zeke with a mouthful of food. "He knew she witnessed that kid get his eye stabbed out and wanted to distract her.

Shauna looks at me as I feel the heat rise in my cheeks. She smiles at the expression I must me making. When I realize that I'm staring toward Tris then over to Uriah who is at another table. I wonder if they have a thing for each other. It would only be natural I guess. This thought angers me though.

Zeke and Lauren get up to go, leaving Shauna and me alone at the table.

"You know there is nothing between Tris and Uriah, right?" she asks. "Uriah has a thing for Marlene and it is obvious to anyone with eyes that she has a thing for you."

I look at Shauna with a puzzled expression, "What do you mean?"

"That girl can't keep her eyes off of you whenever you are around. She constantly steals glances at you when you are in the same room. It is also obvious that your feelings have grown stronger over the past few weeks," she says. "Don't you dare give me that Four glare and growl like last time I tried to talk to you about this. You need to make a move on that girl before she moves on."

"What do you mean, 'move on?'"

"Look Four, you are my friend so I'm going to be blunt here. A girl is only going to wait so long before she gives up. And if you don't do something before she does, you will regret it."

"Shauna, it just wouldn't be right. I'm her instructor."

"You are also an eighteen year old guy, Four. You can't let the fact that she is your initiate stop you. Just think about it, okay?"

I look at her. Maybe she is right. Maybe it is time.