Chapter 24

Tris steps into the room and a moment later is taken by the simulation.

I stand in the observation room watching from the outside. I wish I could go through this with her and help her like she helped me. But since I'm not even attached to the wires, I can only speculate as to what her fears are.

Her first simulation has begun. She looks around her and I see her cringe from what is probably pain. She crouches on the floor her hands feeling for something that is only in her mind. She twitches several times as though she is being assaulted from every angle and I'm sure I know what fear this is, it is the crows. She is not trying to fight them off; she just keeps searching for something on the ground.

It seems that her hands found what she was looking for; she stands with arms outstretched and makes a motion like she is shooting a gun. She has figured out what this fear is about and how to combat it. She relaxes for a moment, and is out of the first fear in less than a minute.

The next fear comes, her body shifts and she crouches down and touches the floor. I am positive I know what this one is too. It is the glass case the fills with water. She holds her hands up in front of her like she is a mime in an invisible box, only the box isn't invisible to her. She starts to punch and kick in front of her, trying to break the box more than likely. Whatever she is doing doesn't seem to be working, she is starting to look more and more flustered. She is wasting too much time in this fear, she needs to find a way to escape it and move on. She pounds her fists over and over in the same place. Finally it seems like she has succeed in breaking through and moving on to the next one.

When the next fear takes her, she is immediately thrown to the floor. She looks like she is struggling against a powerful force. This must be a fear she hasn't seem before. She clings to something invisible like she is trying to stop herself from being swept away. Something throws her body and her face seems to have collided with something and she winces. She screams with frustration. She reaches for something and drags herself forward to stand. She runs and then just stops. That fear must be done now.

She stands with her arms and legs close together like they are bound. I know what this fear is, she is going to be burned alive. She looks around and struggles against her invisible bonds. She makes eye contact with beings that are surrounding her. She yells out "No" tears running down her cheeks. She is having a conversation with someone in her hallucination. If I'm right about the fear, it is Peter. "Know what I smell?" she asks forcefully. "I smell rain." She looks down like she is watching the rain extinguish the flames that are present in her vision.

That is four fears so far. I wonder how many more she will have. She has been in there for four minutes now. She is on course to beat or tie Uriah's time.

She looks around confused, like what she is seeing isn't right. She turns and looks and she is terrified. She keeps looking around her then placed her hands on something and slides it to the side. She bites her lip as she searches for something in front of her. She takes a hold of something that appears to be a gun again. She aims it and seems to be shooting unknown beings. She screams and throws whatever was in her hand to the ground. She sits on the floor and begins breathing deeply, trying to calm herself. She crawls across the floor and then stops. The fear seems to be over.

She is immediately standing again looking at something or someone that is familiar to her, whatever it is she is relaxed and happy to see it. She looks around like she is trying to figure out what she is supposed to be afraid of. She looks up and it appears she is... kissing? What is this? The leaders start laughing. Her fear is funny? She pushes the invisible person back from her and touches her forehead. She tilts her head to the side then looks up. I hear her mumble something that I can't hear this time. She grabs in front of her turns around and pushes forward. She steps in and appears to be kissing again. I really want to know what this fear is. Who is she kissing in her fears? Then she stops.

Seven minutes gone by now.

She jerks her head toward a sound that she must hear. She moves her hand around what looks to be another gun. She has a look of dread on her face. I know what this fear is too. I've seen her go through it sever times in stage two. This is the fear that she has to kill her family. She yells out the word, "No." She looks back and forth like she is looks at the faces of her family. "Shut-up," she yells sehaking her head. She appears to drop the gun she was holding, she turns her head and pushes it forward.

The lights come on. That's it, she is done. "Eight minutes and five seconds, and seven fears," Max tells me. Wow, seven fears, that is impressive. She beat Uriah's time by ten seconds.