Chapter 25

She looks relieved when the lights come on. She turns when she hears the door open. She sees me and I smile at her. She did such a good job, I am very proud of her.

"Congratulations, Tris," Eric says. "You have successfully completed your final evaluation."

She gives him a small smile and says, "Thank you."

"There is one more thing before you go and get ready for the welcoming banquet," he tells her.

I know what is coming next, he got me earlier. I didn't want to let him inject me with anything, but if I fought it they would question it.

He waves to one of the other leaders. She gives him a box, and he takes out a syringe. "At least you aren't afraid of needles," he says. "This will inject you with a tracking device that will be activated only if you are reported missing. Just a precaution."

"How often do people go missing?" she asks.

"Not often." Eric looks at the syringe. "This is a new development, courtesy of the Erudite. We have been injecting every Dauntless throughout the day, and I assume all other factions will comply as soon as possible."

Tris looks worried, hesitant, the same way I felt about it. "All right." She says, her voice tight..

"The banquet is in two hours," Eric says now. "Your ranking among the other initiates, Dauntless-born included, will be announced then. Good luck." He and the rest of the leader exit the room.

I beacon to her to follow me and she does. I want to talk to her, but we can't really talk here. "I heard a rumor that you only had seven obstacles to face," I say. "Practically unheard of."

"You...you weren't watching the simulation?"

"Only the screens. The Dauntless leaders are the only ones who see the whole thing," I say. "They seemed impressed."

"Well, seven fears isn't as impressive as four," she says, "but it will suffice."

"I would be surprised if you weren't ranked first," I say.

She follows me through the glass room where she is greeted with cheers and claps on the back. She sticks to my side as we descend into the Pit.

"I have a question." She says biting her lip. "How much did they tell you about my fear landscape?"

There was something in her landscape that she didn't want me to see. She is worried.

"Nothing, really. Why?" I reply.

"No reason," she looks down.

I don't want to part ways with her right now. I want to spend some time alone with her.

"Do you have to go back to the dormitory?" I ask. "Because if you want peace and quiet, you can stay with me until the banquet."

She looks nervous.

"What is it?" I ask.

She hesitates. "Let's go," she says.

XXX

I lead her up to my apartment. I unlock the door and push it open to let her enter. I come in behind her and slip off my shoes by the door.

"Want some water?" I ask her. She looks nervous. I'm not sure what this is about.

"No thanks." She looks at her hands.

"You okay?" I ask her, brushing my fingers along her cheek. I place my hand on the side of her face then slide my fingers through her hair. I smile at her and draw her closer to kiss her.