Chapter 2

The next morning, Percy was woken by someone yelling shrilly, "Oh my gods!" He blearily grabbed for Riptide before recognizing the voice.

"Piper?" Annabeth asked, baffled.

"It's not what you think-" Percy began, but Piper cut him off.

"You guys are so cute, just shut up, I can't take much more of this!" She said half-sarcastically, a grin stretching her face. Annabeth covered her face and groaned. Percy noticed the scroll in Piper's hands. 

"Crap! It's Inspection Day? But isn't that after breakfast?" Percy asked. 

"You two lovebirds missed breakfast doing who-knows-what, and you're really quite lucky that I'm the inspector today," Piper said gleefully, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Piper!" Annabeth groaned. "Just get out!" 

"I still have to inspect Percy's cabin, now, don't I?" Piper asked, fully enjoying herself. She walked around, noting the relative neatness of the cabin, until she saw the fountain. She raised her eyebrows but said nothing. A hot wave of guilt washed over Percy. He had forgotten that he'd destroyed the beautiful fountain, and he regretted it. It had been a gift from his father, after all, no matter the current circumstances. Piper finally left, and Annabeth said, "Percy, what happened to your fountain?" 

"I, um, just swung Riptide the wrong way," Percy lied, trying not to show his nervousness. 

"You were practicing sword fighting in your cabin?" Annabeth asked skeptically. 

"Yes?" Percy said sheepishly, knowing that Annabeth saw right through his lie. She raised an eyebrow but didn't pursue it further. After a silence, Annabeth said, "Well, I guess it's lucky that I have my hat." She put on her Yankees cap and disappeared from view. Percy put on a fresh shirt and opened the door, making sure to leave it open long enough for Annabeth to get through it. He wasn't sure what to do, seeing as how he'd missed breakfast, so he wandered through the camp. 

"I'm going to go to my cabin, but I heard that Grover was here. You should find him," Annabeth breathed in his ear. He nodded as discreetly as possible and set off for the strawberry fields. 

~~~

However, upon reaching the strawberry fields, he couldn't see hide nor hair of Grover. Percy figured that Grover was talking to his girlfriend Juniper, so he made his way down to the woods, avoiding everyone and ignoring their hellos. He walked past the basketball court, where Apollo guys were showing off for the Aphrodite girls. He spotted the woods and increased his pace, hoping to get away from the Aphrodite girls. Once they started talking to you, they'd never let you go. Especially in Percy's case. He didn't quite know why they were all obsessed with him, but he knew that Annabeth hated seeing the Aphrodite girls mobbing Percy. He avoided them, not because he was afraid that Annabeth would be mad at him, but for the girls' own safety. Annabeth would probably kill them if she saw them harassing Percy again. Smiling slightly, he reached the edge of the woods. He took Riptide out of his pocket but didn't uncap the pen. He kept it ready though, just in case a monster popped up. You could never be certain that you wouldn't be attacked in these woods. He walked the now-familiar path to Juniper's tree, having visited Juniper many times, looking for Grover. He kept a look out for monsters, but he reached Juniper's tree without any incident. To his relief, he heard more than one voice, and walked forward, smiling. 

"Perrrcy!" Grover bleated, running forward to give Percy a hug. Juniper smiled and waved at him, and he smiled back. 

"Hey G-man! Why didn't you tell me you were here?" Percy asked.

"I kind of arrived in the middle of the night," Grover replied sheepishly. 

"How's it been going with your wilderness thing?"