Chapter 5

The security guard didn't even look up as Percy and Annabeth exited the elevator. Percy was excited about seeing Grover again, and going with him to rebuild the Wild. As they walked out the doors of the Empire State Building, Percy put his hand in his pocket and touched Riptide for reassurance. Although the monsters had more or less disappeared after the war with Gaea, all the demigods were cautioned to keep an eye out, just in case. Percy spotted the white van and grabbed Annabeth's hand as they walked over to it. She looked at him, surprised, jarred out of her thinking.

"If you keep thinking that hard, you'll get permanent worry lines," Percy teased, kissing her forehead. She smiled and rolled her eyes at him.

"Come on, Seaweed Brain. I don't think Argus wants to see that." Annabeth laughed and they got in the van.

~~~

They arrived at Camp Half-Blood without incident. Unless you count Percy falling asleep as an "incident". Annabeth looked at him and grimaced. His head was propped on her shoulder, and normally she wouldn't mind if he was awake. But there was a rather large puddle of drool on her shoulder.

"Percy," Annabeth said, shaking him. When he didn't immediately wake up, Annabeth began to panic.

"Percy!" She said, a lot louder. Argus looked at them in the mirror, alarmed. Suddenly, Percy jerked awake, already grabbing for Riptide. He saw Annabeth and blinked blearily.

"What's going on?" Percy asked in a sleepy voice.

"Y-you weren't waking up, and I thought-" Annabeth broke off, fighting tears. This was ridiculous! Annabeth was stronger than this. Ever since Tartarus, she had been more jumpy and nervous. And anyway, nothing could have happened to Percy while he slept right next to her, especially when they were both in a vehicle. Snap out of it, Annabeth told herself.

"Well, I'm awake now," Percy said groggily.

"You're right," Annabeth said. She took a breath, slowing her racing heart. They got out of the van and waved to Argus as he drove off. Annabeth had calmed down, but she was mad at herself for acting like a shallow helpless girl.

"Hey, where do they keep the van?" Percy asked. Annabeth rolled her eyes and started walking up the hill.

"It was a valid question!" Percy exclaimed, jogging to catch up to Annabeth. They arrived at the Big House, and Chiron was once again playing cards with Mr. D.

"Ah, Percy, how did it go?" Chiron asked upon seeing them. He stood up, excusing himself to Mr. D and motioned them inside. They sat inside the game room, and Chiron offered them some snacks. Percy took some, but Annabeth declined. Percy told Chiron everything, Annabeth occasionally interjecting to say things he had forgotten. Chiron listened to their story, not saying a word during it. When they were done, he nodded, but all he said was, "You must go notify Grover of your plans. Oh, and Percy, you do not have to tell him the reason you're going with him, if you don't want to." Chiron smiled understandingly at Percy, who nodded. There was a lump in his throat. He didn't like keeping things from Grover, but he also didn't want to tell Grover what was wrong with him. He hated the thought of losing his best friend to a twisted shadow of himself.
Percy could smell barbecue coming from the dining pavilion, and his stomach rumbled. Had they really been away from camp that long?

"Percy, I've got to go, you talk to Grover and I'll see you later," Annabeth said, kissing him on the cheek. Percy watched her jog away and went in search for Grover. He figured that Grover would be talking to Juniper, so he passed the volleyball courts, ignoring the stares of the campers. Just keep your head down, he told himself. He was ashamed of what he had become. He sent a quick prayer to Poseidon. Hey Dad. I'm just asking you to help me get through this. Please.