Chapter 3

Everywhere Percy went, people avoided him. He could see the fear in their eyes whenever he walked past them. He was ashamed, but also glad. Ninety percent of the time, it was because he knew that this way, they wouldn't get hurt by him during one of his episodes, as Chiron had started calling them. The other ten percent, ironically, was during his "episodes" and he always felt even more empowered by their obvious fear of him. And he wasn't ashamed at all. No matter how hard he tried, he almost never could stomp down on his chaotic impulses. He soon became reluctant to even go near water, let alone swim in it. His greatest ally had now become his worst enemy. Since he forbade himself any contact with water, he made up for it by throwing himself into sword fighting. While most of the campers relaxed and played volleyball, or climbed the rock wall, Percy was always fighting in the arena, decapitating dummies with a stony expression. One afternoon while Percy was training, Annabeth walked into the arena, and Percy stopped mid-swing. Her eyes had dark bags under them, and Percy knew she had stayed up late the night before. However, she still smiled brightly at him.

"I would hug you, but you're kinda soggy," Annabeth remarked. Percy recapped Riptide and sat down, cringing a little as he drained a whole bottle of water. He hoped Annabeth hadn't seen, but of course she had.

"Percy, you've got to stop beating yourself up about this," she said tiredly.

"But I'm dangerous to my own friends!" 

"Yes, but-"

"It is my fault, so don't even say it's not!" Percy said angrily.

"I was going to say that it's only partly your fault. Because it's like your brain is cut in half; good Percy and bad Percy. While good Percy would never voluntarily want to hurt other campers-- well, not without good reason anyway-- bad Percy would. So therefore, it's only 50% percent your fault," Annabeth explained. 

"That explanation was insulting! Do you think I'm five or something?" Percy asked in mock-outrage, his anger quickly disappearing.  Annabeth grinned and said, "Maybe I do. Sometimes you act like you're five." 

"That's it!" Percy said, grinning mischievously. He tackled Annabeth, ignoring her squeals of "Ew, you're still sweaty!" and started tickling her without mercy. In between gasps of breath, Annabeth managed to say, "Okay, okay, I take it back!" Annabeth's laughter had been infectious, and as he let up on his tickling, he was still laughing a little. He grabbed her in a hug, and for the first time in a few days, he actually felt happy again. After a while Annabeth asked, "Where were we?" 

"Hmm?" Percy asked, not paying attention, trying to lose himself in her reassuring scent.

"Oh!" She jumped up, out of Percy's arms. "Chiron wanted to talk to you!" 

"How long has it been since you were supposed to tell me this?" Percy asked.

"Um, about an hour," Annabeth said, checking her delicate watch. Percy didn't know she had it, and idly wondered when she got it.

"Oops. I hope Chiron didn't mind waiting, then," Percy said sheepishly, focusing back in on the matter at hand. 

"Race you to the Big House, Seaweed Brain," Annabeth called, already running.

"Hey! That's not fair!" Percy complained, laughing.

When they arrived at the Big House, they saw Chiron sitting on the porch, enduring a game of pinochle with Mr. D. They climbed the stairs to the house, trying to look apologetic. Chiron got up out of his wheelchair, excusing himself. Mr. D grumbled something about stupid brat children and ordered one of the satyrs nearby to get him some grapes. They left the satyr scrambling about and followed Chiron into the Big House. The centaur sat down in the rec room and raised an eyebrow.