Chapter 3: Emma's POV

Emma couldn't think of what to say. She deperately needed an excuse to be there but she couldn't think of one. Of all the times her brain decided to fail on her, it chooses this moment. Maybe because she was merely feet away from the woman she was supposed to kill. Maybe because this woman is even more gorgeous in person. Emma was sure this mayor could turn the straightest of the female gender gay. 

       "I'm...on a road...trip." Emma said slowly, "I got into your town-"

      "It's not my town." Regina muttered.

      "Oh," Emma said, "Anyway, I got here late last night and got a room at the bed and breakfast and I...."

She stopped as a little boy walked out of the house.

       "Forget something, Mom?" He asked, then he looked at Emma, "Who's this?"

        "A visitor." Regina said, "Henry, this is Emma Swan. Ms. Swan, this is my son, Henry."

Henry smiled at Emma and looked back at his mother.

       "Henry, you should head to the bus stop now." Regina said, not taking her eyes off Emma's.

Henry nodded and walked down the sidewalk and down the block. 

     "Cute kid." Emma said with a smile.

    "He's adopted." Regina said, "I always wanted a child. But...."

She trailed off.

    "Adoption's a good way to go," Emma said sincerely, "Give a child a good, better home."

    An awkward, heavy silence falls between them. Emma flashes a glance over to her yellow bug then back at the woman in front of her. She had a son. A son. It would have been easy if she lived alone but she actually had a kid.

    "I should get to work." Regina said, "Are you going to remain on my porch or...?"

   "Oh, no." Emma said, "I'll...go..."

She walked passed the mayor and to her car. The mayor did the same and drove off.

      Emma decided to drive around the town and get to know it. She drove past a few houses, a hospital, a road which she discovered led to a cemetary and a pawn shop. It wasn't the fact that it was a pawn shop and she had always been interested in them that made her stop, but who it was that was standing by it. Her boss.

      "Mr. Spinner?" She asked, getting out of her car.

He straightened and turned.

     "Emma." He smiled, "Hello. But don't call me that here, dearie. It's Mr. Gold here."