Chapter 8: Regina's POV

A few days passed and Emma seemed to drift a little and avoid looking at Regina. Regina still forced her to keep talking, however. She was good at that. She kept learning a little bit more about this Emma Swan than what little she had in her folder.

       Late one night, they had another run-in in the kitchen. Luckily, Regina got the file shut before Emma saw it.

      "Can't sleep?" The mayor asked as the blonde stood across from her.

     "No," Emma replied, "I see you're still working on your...uh...city affairs."

Regina laughed a little nervously.

    "Yeah...That's the thing about being mayor..." She said, looking down at the folder.

Suddenly, Emma reached forward and snatched the folder before turning away and opening it. Regina lunged forward and reached around her to get it back.

     "I knew it!" Emma exclaimed, shoving the brunette off her, "I fucking knew it."

    "Knew what?" Regina asked, ripping the folder from Emma's hands.

     "You're after me, too." Emma said, "Mr. Gold, right?"

Regina stared at her. How would she know that Mr. Gold was the one who sent her after this woman?

     "Why?" Emma asked, "Why does he want you to kill me?"

     "He never told me." Regina replied, her voice trying so hard to stay steady, "But how did you know it's him?"

     "He goes by a different name back in Boston," Emma said.

  Regina stared in confusion, tilting her head a little to show it. Emma sighed and looked away. 

       "He sent me after you, too." She said after a few moment's pause.

Regina took a step back, her eyes not leaving the blonde woman's face. Emma looked back at Regina.

        "Why haven't you killed me yet?" The mayor asked.

       "You have a son." Emma replied, "I need to figure out what to do with him before I kill you."

      "What if I killed you first?" Regina asked, straightening her back.

    They locked eyes and stood in a heavy, dangerous silence. At any moment, Regina could take a knife from the drawer beside her. Though, for all she knew, Emma could be a fighter. A good fighter. She looked like she would be.

      "I wouldn't give you the chance to." Emma finally said, "If you even tried right now, I can assure you I would win."

       "I wouldn't be so confident." Regina chuckled, "You have no idea who you're dealing with."