Chapter Four

He's taking my clothes off, ripping them off. I'm wincing and crying, but he ignores me as he rubs against my ribs. And then he gets on top of me.

I wake up, he woke me up by shaking me.
"You were screaming."
He looks scared as I pant and try to sit up. My ribs protest and I wince.
"Stay down, they aren't better yet." He says.

It was a dream. I'm still panting, but it was just a dream. I'm ok... For now.

"I'm sorry. I had a nightmare. I didn't mean to scream." He doesn't seem angry with me. Thankfully.
"Yeah, I could tell, Just calm down. Do you want water?" He asks. Why is he so nice? He kidnapped me. I need to know what this is about.
I nod, and he leaves.

When he comes back, I sip on the water, and he sits on the edge of the bed, looking out a small window.

"Am I up for ransom?" I blurt out. Man, what am I thinking?
He looks shocked that I just asked. He doesn't answer my question for a long time. Then all of a sudden I hear is voice slowly say:

"Yes." Even though I am stuck here, I feel a little better knowing his intensions aren't anything worse.

"Why? Please let me go..." I plead, even though I know my efforts are worthless.

"It's not my job to tell you." He answered. I'm assuming that means he is doing this for someone else.

"Well, who do you work for?" I ask, trying to keep the conversation going.

"That's not what I meant!" He blurts, obviously irritated. But, I continue, wanting to get as much information as I can.

"Obviously, you can't solve your own problems, so you're just using me." I say rather rudely. I realize that its not wise for me to get on his bad side, but I don't think I am pushing it too far just yet. He sighed, obviously pissed off at my arrogance, but I don't mind.

"My parents just died in an accident. My sister is 6 and I'm turning 18 in two months," he starts...
"so the system split us up. If I have enough money to buy a house, I can take her in and I will be her legal guardian." If he needs money, then he obviously knows my parents are wealthy, he needs ransom.

"This is the only way to do it in such a short amount of time or we will be separated for good. She's all I have now." His eyes glisten with tears but he holds them back.

"I'm sorry..." I say honestly
"But how do you know me?" I'm trying to fit the pieces together.
He shakes his head.

"The less you know the better. I don't want to keep you for too long or hurt you, but you have to stay out of trouble. Right now, your parents won't pay. They think they can find you. So we just have to wait it out until things start happening." He explains.

They won't pay, don't they care that I'm gone? The longer they hold out, the longer I'm with him!
"Oh." I can't hide the disappointment in my voice.

"You should go back to sleep. It's only 2 in the morning." As he says this I feel a sudden swamp of tiredness and fall asleep.

I wake up, and he is asleep next to me. I hate this, I'm too close to him.

I decide to check my gauze. I lift my shirt and its soaked through. This is pretty bad, I need new bandages. I don't know where- wait...

He's asleep! I could just walk right out! I get butterflies as I slowly tiptoe to my shoes. Wincing as I put them on, I think of what I will need... Snacks and water sounds good. I don't know where anything is, but I shuffle around some cabinets until I find some. I take four granola bars, and two waters. I take my bag, slide them in and head to the door.

I fumble around with the lock to try to open it... But it won't budge. All of a sudden a hand is on the door. I turn around. He looks annoyed, but I see a hint of amusement in his face.

"You think I'd just let you walk out?" He asks
I don't respond... How do I respond? He just caught me trying to sneak out.
"Put your stuff back." He directs. I do as I'm told.
"Besides, your not in good shape right now. Just look at you, wincing with each step. I need to change your bandages. Go sit and take your shirt off." He says.

I listen, feeling more exposed then yesterday as he unwraps the bandage. When I look down, it looks a lot better. But it's still bleeding. It won't infect if he puts something on it.

"Do you have any cream? Something that will keep it from infecting?" I ask
"Yeah, stay here one second." He heads to the bathroom and slides the mirror. He grabs a tube of something and comes back. He rubs the ointment on, it stings but I know this will help. When he is done, I put my shirt back on and head for the bathroom to brush my teeth.

As I am brushing my teeth a scary thought pops in my head:
I am not intimidated here. I feel safe, like I can trust
him... Like I know him.
Stop! I won't think like that, I just have to keep my head on one thing: my desire to go home.