14. Decisions

Maria pov

My hands were clammy as I smoothed down my dress for the fifth time in a span of ten minutes. My hair was curled in ringlets and I had brushed on some black mascara. My stomach was in a knot as I waited for Flynn to be ready.  

The door to the ensuite swung open and Flynn walked out in a pair of jeans and a vintage t-shirt. He wasn't wearing shoes either. I sighed and gave him a look.

"I wasn't sure if your family wore shoes in the house or not," I explained as I kicked my flats off and Flynn laughed. "So far I've been barefoot but I was confuzzled."

"Nah we keep it pretty casual around here," Flynn drawled. "It's like our pack is one big chaotic family and my house is everyone else's too. Mom would go insane if we wore shoes in the house."

I laughed and Flynn sweeped me into the air and carried me down the steps. He swung me around wildly through the house until we reached the dining room. I was laughing and gasping for air when he pulled my chair out for me to sit.

"Thank you kind sir," I joked.

"Anything for you milady!" Flynn declared before sitting in his own chair. I hadn't realized that Flynn's family was already seated grinning from ear to ear. I coughed awkwardly and then murmured a greeting.

~~~~~~

The dinner was going well and I really liked Flynn's father. Sam, Flynn's dad, was like an older version of Flynn. He was constantly joking and telling crazy stories that had me in stitches.

"So you've heard all about our crazy family, what about yours?" Sam asked. My smile dropped off of my face. Flynn looked at me to gauge my reaction. I cleared my throat.

"Um," I began. "My biological parents have passed away, my father just recently, but my adoptive father is doing well to my knowledge. My brothers and I are not on good terms at the moment."

Sam and the rest of Flynn's family looked shocked to say the least. I stabbed a small chunk of my steak and shoved it into my mouth. Flynn rubbed my arm comforting me. We ate in silence for a couple minutes.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Sam finally said after a pregnant pause. I nodded my head and sniffled.

"He was a good Alpha," I said quietly. I plastered a smile to my face. "I made dessert does anyone want some?"

They were collective noises of agreement and so I helped Martha clear the plates- though she didn't want me to- and opened the refrigerator to get the marshmallow squares. I drizzled caramel sauce and chocolate sauce on the pile in a neat criss-cross pattern and carried the plate into the dining room.

A chorus of pleased noises filled the room as we bit into the sweet treat.

"Maria, honey," Martha started, "You simply must give me this recipe!"

"It's really simple," I told her. "All I did was change the cereal I used."

"I will most definitely make this another time," Martha paused to smile, "Thank you Maria." My face blushed and Flynn squeezed my hand.

"Mom, could Maria and I please be excused?" Flynn spoke up. When Martha nodded Flynn stood up and lead me up the stairs. As I followed Flynn up to his room I heard his brothers start making kissing noises and saying our names. I began to blush furiously as Flynn turned and extended his middle finger backwards.

While we walked down the hall, I admired the pictures of Flynn's childhood that hung on the walls. I laughed and stopped walking when I saw a picture of Flynn with a diaper on but Batman underwear on his head. When Flynn noticed what I was laughing at his face tinted pink. The next thing I knew I was scooped up into the air and Flynn was opening his bedroom door. He started to turn on his xbox and grabbed the controllers and guitars.

As I was "chilling" on his back, I snatched my bag and threw it to the bed so that when Flynn put me down I could grab it. When Flynn sat down on his bed, I scrambled off of him and to my bag. I jumped off the bed and walked into the bathroom.

I tugged on my sports bra and another pair of underwear. Over them I wore a tank top and shorts. Quickly I braided my hair and washed my face. My eyes were fighting to stay open as I walked back into Flynn's bedroom. I flopped down onto his bed and succumbed to the darkness.

I woke up in the middle of the night. Flynn must have pulled the covers up over me before he went to the couch. I tossed the blankets off of me and shuddered at the sudden loss of heat. Looking over at Flynn I realized he didn't have any blankets on. I pulled a thick blanket off of the bed and laid it overtop of him. Gently, I kissed his forehead and walked into the bathroom. I splashed water on my face and ran my fingers through my knotted hair. Something was bugging me, but I wasn't sure what. I crawled back into bed and closed my eyes.

As I tried to sleep I wondered what was bugging me. Was it Flynn sleeping in the couch again? Was it the teasing we got from his brothers? Brothers. That word made my heart twinge. Was it possible that I was missing my lying brothers? It couldn't be all I ever wanted was a family that was completely mine and here I had had it all along.  Even if Jeremy, Matt and Ryder had lied to me, they had always acted like brothers. They always took care of me and made sure I was doing well in school.

That was another thing. School. I had pretty much ditched all of the week except for Monday. Most of my week was spent hiding in the bushes in the rain. I would have to go to school tomorrow in order to keep my GPA up.

Jeremy worked at the school. There was no doubt that I would run into him. What would I even say; I wouldn't have run away if you'd just told me the truth when I was younger? I needed to be a good example for Flynn's pack. I needed to show the younger kids that school was important.

I had made up my mind. I was going to go to school on Monday, and drag Flynn into the bed next to me because I could hear his shivers from across the room.

~~~~~~~
Sorry for the long wait. I just started going to a new school so that was stressing me out and I had writers block. I'm hoping that I will start updating again but I have a busier schedule again with school restarting.