4. Blood Red Wolf

Maria pov

I stripped out of the clingy clothes and into my comfy flannel pajamas. I toweled my hair and braided it. I crawled into my bed and turned off my light. I settled into my bed and pulled the covers up to my chin.

I woke up and heard a rustling noise outside my window. I tucked my head under my covers. The noise continued.
Slowly I crawled to the edge of my bed, still under my blankets. I slipped of my bed, wrapping all the blankets from my bed around me. I crawled across the carpet and reached out of the blankets to open the door. The rustling turned into a tapping and I squealed and rushed through the door. When I was in the hallway, I sat with my back against the door.

"Oh Lordy what is that?" I whispered. I heard a bang and scurried down the hall on my hands and knees. I opened Papa's bedroom and looked at the empty bed. "Papa, where are you?"
I closed the door and crawled to the right into the Alpha's section. I slowly opened Ryder's door. He rolled over and opened one eye. Ryder made a swooping motion and wanted me to come to him. I hurried in and jumped in beside him.

"Ryder there's a noise outside my window." I said poking his cheek after he closed his eyes. He grunted. "Ryder it's a creepy noise." I said poking his cheek again. Ryder batted my hand away. "Ryder." I said poking his cheek. He rolled on top of me.

"Go to sleep." he ordered. I shook my head. "I'll figure it out in the morning. Nobody crossed the territory lines you are fine." I huffed and closed my eyes. Ryder rolled off of me. I poked his cheek one more time.

"Goodnight." I whispered.

"Night Maria." Ryder groaned.

***

I woke up when Ryder shook me.

"What do you want?" I said exasperatedly.

"You need to go to the safe house." Ryder said.

"What's going on?" I asked sitting up.

"Tom said everyone to the safe house. We aren't sure if it's just a drill." Ryder said while wrapping my blankets around me. "Now go you need to keep everyone calm."

I shuffled quickly down the stairs and out the back door. Walking to the third ancient oak to the right on the pool house I knocked seven times. The door swung open and I descended the stairs. All that was allowing me to see was the torches along the wall. Soon I reached the bottom and everyone was calmer when I arrived.

"Okay, who's ready to have a massive sleepover?" I asked. The small girls giggled. I set everyone up in circles so they could talk when they wanted. I curled up in the corner and began to doze off next to Gemma. The next thing I knew was groaning in pain.

"Baby you'll be okay. Somebody get Jeremy, Matt and Ryder!" I heard Gemma shout.

"Oh!" I yelled. I felt Gemma rub my back. Soon I felt three more presences.
"It's just a drill, let's take her outside. Quick!" Matt said. I was lifted up and carried up the stairs.

Soon I felt the cool air from outside on my skin. I was laid in pine needles and felt my bones started to break. I was shifting. I screamed and it felt like my limbs caught fire. My skull reshaped and my spine snapped. I tried to scream but it came out a high pitched whine.

I felt three fuzzy bodies rub against me. I opened my eyes and my vision went blurry and then cleared. I could hear better too. I saw three other wolves. One was a reddish brown and the other two were a dark brown. I looked at my paws and yelped when they were bright blood red.

I took off running and heard Ryder, Jeremy and Matt follow me. I felt someone nip my heels and I ran as fast as I could. I looked behind me and saw I left the boys in my dust. I slowed when I reached a stream. I was lapping water when I noticed the lack of pack presence in my mind.

I turned back into my territory and barely managed to avoid being tackled.