6. The Good Old Hockey Game

Maria pov
"Why would Jeremy re-start school on a Friday." Gemma groaned. "Why couldn't we wait three more days."

"Because today is the hockey game and the day Jeremy gets paid. We needed the money for the tickets for tonight's game and it was a must because I love hockey, Matt loves hockey, Ryder loves hockey and Jeremy loves hockey." I said with an 'are you stupid or what?' tone.

"Well excuse me that I prefer soccer." Gemma scoffed.

"No, you prefer watching hot boys play soccer. There's a big difference." I laughed as Gemma shoved me.

"As if you don't boy watch during a hockey game." Gemma teased.

"Hey I admit it," I told her while giving her a sweet smile. "But I like the game too."

"Oh yes because there's nothing like freezing your ass off in a building with many other cold and probably drunk people." Gemma's voice dripped with sarcasm. We began to climb the old limestone steps to our school.

"As opposed to being overly hot in a building with many other hot and definitely drunk people?" I asked referring to the delayed party Jeremy was having this weekend for his birthday. "Hockey rinks aren't actually that cold Gems."

"If you're wrapped up in a bazillion blankets no." she retorted.

"How would you know? You've never been to a game." I asked.

"Shut up don't you have somewhere to be?" Gemma asked jokingly. I shook my head and went to my first class.

******
"Like, good luck baby." Kayla's whiny voice cooed. I snorted and pretended to gag making the boys laugh.

"Shouldn't you be in the locker room with the rest of the team?" I shouted at whoever was unfortunate enough to be clung on by Kayla. He sent me a grateful look as Kayla let him go as she turned to glare at me. When she noticed the three most highest ranked wolves in our pack that stood behind me protectively, she stopped her grimace to smile flirtatiously. I heard Ryder snort and Matt pretend to gag. I just held back a smile and moved to our seats.

I took in a deep breath when I was seated in the red plastic arena chair. Various colognes and perfumes filled the air but the more air I breathed in, the more scents I uncovered. I smelt the alcohol -most likely Jack Daniels added to a can of Pepsi or some Bailey's sloshed into some coffee- and the deep ruby red candy apples and golden caramelized beer nuts. I smelt the salty, buttery goodness that is the unhealthy snack of greasy yellow arena popcorn and heard the fizzing of pop bottles being cracked open. When the buzzer rang and the zebra striped referees came skating out, the crowd erupted into a roar. When the green and blue teams skated out, the blades of their skates sliced crisply across the slick gleaming ice. I could practically hear how sharp their skates were. The crowd cheered so loud it was chaos. If they were cheering loud now, I wondered how loud they cheered when a goal was scored.

"Apparently the Alpha of the other pack is captain of the other team." Jeremy whispered into my ear.

"And I would care because..." I responded concentrating on the ice. I watched the teams line up for the national anthem and stood when the announcer said.

"Well you are eighteen-" Jeremy started but was cut off by me.

"Show some respect!" I scolded when he continued to speak. I sang along quietly but proudly. After the announcements finished and I stopped cheering- momentarily- Jeremy continued to speak.

"As I was saying, you're eighteen and eligible for a mate. The alpha is here and the party is tomorrow night and you might meet him."

"No. I will find my mate when fate decides to let me Jeremy. Besides, we don't even know what rank I'm supposed to be, we just know I'm in the upper three or four. There is almost no chance my mate will be an alpha, that's it!" I thundered. "Now let me watch the game in peace. No lovey-dovey crap okay?"

"Fine." Jeremy sulked like a toddler who didn't get his way.

I whooped and screamed when the home team score a goal, and groaned when the visiting scored. I was constantly on the edge of my red plastic arena seat and the seat flipped up every time I stood up. By the time first period was over the score was two to one for our home team.

I stood at intermission and let everyone exit. When I sat back down Matt dropped a container of arena popcorn into my lap. A squeal slipped past my lips and I shoved my fist into the box eagerly.

"What, you aren't going to share?" Ryder laughed. I just raised my eyebrows and shook my head somberly. The boys just laughed and shoved my shoulders.

I had my popcorn finished by the time the second period started. The crisp swooping sound of blades in ice flooded into my ears and my mouth split into a grin.

~~~

Our team lost by two points. I'm convinced that it was because the other team had an alpha on it. I was running home in wolf form with the boys when Jeremy darted ahead and then Matt and Ryder started pushing me closer to the edge of the forest.

I snapped my jaw at Matt's shoulder and began to speed up to catch Jeremy. Suddenly I was tackled and dragged into the shortcut home by the scruff of my neck. My paws flailed in the air trying to bat Matt and Ryder away from me. Soon I was dragged into the foyer and Papa started laughing at my dust coated fur. I growled and Ryder dragged me up the staircase, each step jolting into my spine.

I shifted and pulled a blanket onto my body. "What the heck!" I shouted as Ryder and Matt retreated out of my room. "Where did they go?" And I heard my door lock from the outside.

*Jeremy pov*

I spilt from Maria, Matt and Ryder instructing them to take Maria home. I sprinted towards the huge almost gold wolf. He snarled as I approached and I shifted.

"Watch it Alpha Flynn, I'm letting you on my land." I growled.

"Who were you just with?" He asked after shifting but his eyes stayed dark.

"Why do you want to know?" I questioned.

"I need to know." His voice had dropped an octave and his jaw tensed. I raised my eyebrow. He sighed and relaxed his jaw.

"I was just running with my siblings." I stated pretending I was bored.

"Are they coming, do you have a sister?" Flynn sounded desperate to know. He constantly looked over my shoulder. "Please tell me Alpha Jeremy."

"They aren't coming. I've told my brothers to take the female we were traveling with home. I want a real answer, why do you wish to know?" I growled becoming protective.

"Damn it Jeremy, I thought I smelt my mate!" Flynn snarled and began to pull at his blonde hair. His eyes went soft. "Did the she-wolf have any high ranking blood?"

"She is the third's adopted daughter." I stated briskly. "I happen to know who her parents were."
______________
Sorry for the long wait but long wait means long chapter you know? :)