8

"Ally!" I exclaimed. "Why didn't you tell me this?!"

"Because I thought that if I did, you wouldn't have said yes to Austin."

I couldn't believe that Ally and Austin used to date! And no one told me?! Not even Austin! I mean, this is something that should come out on like a first date, right? "Hey, I did all this for you with the help of Dez. Oh, there's Dez, Trish and Ally serenading you. Did I forget to mention that Ally and I used to date?"

I leaned against the counter in the bathroom and covered my face. I didn't know what to say. What was I supposed to say? That was a major bombshell to have dropped on me! To have dropped on anyone, really.

"It was a long time ago," Ally continued when I didn't speak. "We both agreed to break up, it just wasn't working. I don't know, I guess I was just a bit jealous because Austin has finally moved on and I haven't even got the chance to look. I'm so happy you two are together, Astley, don't get me wrong."

I was still speechless. I was starting to feel guilty. How could I date my friend, heck, my best friend's ex? What if she still loved him? She wouldn't tell me if she did. I mean, she didn't tell me she even dated Austin, let alone if she still had feelings for him. And asking would get me nowhere either.

What if Austin still had feelings for her, too?

I was digging myself into a deep hole that was starting to get hard to get out of.

"I have to go," I said and began to walk past Ally. She caught my arm quickly.

"Where are you going?" she asked.

"I need to ask Austin something."

"Please don't break up with him, Astley. I'm being honest when I say I'm 100% okay with you guys dating. There's nothing between us, I'm over him."

I nodded, but I wasn't sure if I truly believed her.

I left the bathroom and walked up to the table. Trish, Dez and Austin were still sat together, talking. Well, more like Trish and Dez were arguing while Austin sat between them on his phone. He looked up just as I began to approach the table and smiled. God, I loved that smile. But right now, I couldn't return it.

I walked up to Austin and asked him if I could talk to him in private for a minute. The table went silent for a moment as Trish and Dez both turned to look at me, then realized that Ally wasn't following me. I knew they were probably assuming the worst, but they didn't even know the half of it.

Austin and I walked together onto the boardwalk, then to the beach. Austin's hand kept brushing against mine, but I kept pulling away. I could tell this was hurting him, but right now I needed to stay firm. I couldn't turn into mush under Austin's gaze.

After walking for a while, Austin suddenly stopped and turned to me.

"What do you need to talk about in private?" He looked worried. It hurt that I had to have this conversation with him. I hated to be that girlfriend that said stupid stuff like "if you didn't tell me this what else aren't you telling me?", but I honestly wanted to know why he didn't tell me about him and Ally.

"Why didn't you tell me you and Ally dated?" I decided to be blunt.

He opened his mouth and closed it again, pondering his words. That didn't help either. I almost didn't want to know his answer.

"I guess..." he started, sounding very hesitant. "I guess I was just worried about it. Ally is like your best friend, and in some ways your boss. I guess I just didn't want you to feel awkward about this, about us, knowing I've had a past with Ally. I didn't want you to feel awkward with her, or awkward with all of us hanging out together and being friends."

I shoved my hands in my pockets and just nodded. I thought about Austin's words. His reasoning did make sense, and I guess if he had told me about his and Ally's relationship before asking me out, or even after, I would feel really awkward around Ally. But finding out like this was much worse. And if I hadn't found out this way, was Austin ever going to tell me? Or were we just going to continue our whole relationship and no one tell me about Austin and Ally's past.

Austin pulled the sweater he was wearing tighter to his body. His face was a mixture of upset and worried. I almost couldn't look at him as I continued through my own thought process.

"Are you mad at me?" he finally asked. His voice made my heart break. He sounded like a child who just found out Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny aren't real all at the same time.

"I'm not mad," I replied, realizing that I really wasn't. "I just...wish you had told me sooner. I guess it will be kind of awkward between Ally and I, but I do sort of want to know. You don't have to go through your entire dating history with me or anything, I guess I just sorta...wanted to know." Something passed through my mind and I sighed, running my hand through my hair. "But it is none of my business. I'm sorry."

Austin chuckled and wrapped his arms around me. "Don't be sorry. I do understand your concern. I'm sorry I didn't tell you before."

"Don't be sorry either," I told him. "Neither of us be sorry. Let's just...forget this."

Austin kissed the top of my head and squeezed me. "I'd like that."

It's been FOREVERRRRRRR and I had zero inspiration for this chapter that I started like a year or two years ago so I apologize for the shitty end to the chapter. I originally planned for this to be some drama but then realized I don't want drama this early in the story so maybe I'll bring it back, who knows ;)