Distant Echo - Chapter 5

____________________

Chapter 5

Three days past and still no response from Melody.

Did I do something to upset her? Straining to remember the events of that day, my memory only allowed me to stretch as far as when I went into 'breakdown' mode.

Shivering from remembering that night, I sat on the couch flipping my phone repeatedly. I soon constructed a rhythm. Flip open, close, flip open, close, flip open...

Becoming deeply interested with the device and the sounds I was creating I didn't realise that someone was in my presence.

Looking up from the motion that passed my eye, my mum stood there gazing at me curiously.

"Hunny are you alright there?" She slowly asked, a look of confusion written on her face.

Dammit! She always catches me in the off beam moment, especially when I'm doing something which may seem weird for your average teenager.

"Um, yea I'm alright, just...bored." I quickly covered up the look of embarrassment creeping over me.

"Okay if you say so then. I'm heading out for a bit, need to buy some groceries. The walk would be good. Want to join?"

Thinking of an excuse as fast as I could to avoid the "walk" with my mum, I hastily made up some bullshit about me having to study.

Sighing, I could see the slightest look of hurt in my mother's eyes. Giving me a fake smile she just nodded her head and walked out, grabbing her purse while she was at it.

Watching her walk out, I suddenly felt a pang of guilt. She tries so hard yet I turn her down every time.

Arguing to myself, deciding whether or not I should catch up to her, I put on my chucks and matrixed my way over the couch, hoping I would catch up with her in time.

Whilst half jogging and walking, looking like a freak with a limp, I cursed myself for not taking the car.

After a few minutes I saw the faint image of my mum strolling down the pathway. Wanting to make the effort for once, I slowed down careful not to get her attention and crept up behind her. Just when she was about to turn around, I bear hugged her and let out a chuckle.

"Oh you gave me a heart attack Dom!" She laughed patting my shoulder.

"Sorry mum, felt like giving you a hug, since I'm the best son you could ever think of having." I jokingly answered back.

"Yea right, I wish I traded you in for that couch I've always wanted when I had the chance." She shot back, humour in her eyes.

I froze at this remark. Okay, I know she was joking, but hearing that from your own mother, still made my heart break a little...Alright, I might be over reacting and acting all girly but still, that hurt.

"Ha ha..." I tried making my laugh sound as real as I could, but I sensed that she noticed the change in my tone.

Clearing her throat, she carried on walking, me beside her.

And then, the awkwardness. Right... do I say something? Or should I wait until she brings up a topic. Why am I feeling uncomfortable. It's your own mother for God sake and you can't even handle one trip to the shops with her. All good...just be cool, play it cool.

"So um, how's work been mum?"

"It's been alright. Really busy though. I'm tired Dom, all this stress is too much to handle."