The Impossible City

We stayed anchored for about three days in Siren's Sea. During that time, Shenzie had been distant from me. I suppose she was still angry about the 'siren' incident, or either she was too busy to talk; though I think the first option wins the prize.

We began drifting out of the small oasis and into the grey waters of the ocean I had gotten accustomed to. "I need you to stay below deck until we port." I turned to find Finn hovering over me with a small glint of humor in his stormy eyes that were sparking with the small splash of purple that you rarely got to witness. "Why? It's open sea?" He smirked and fixed his favored hat, "Because I want to surprise you. I can promise you've never been to this port before." I frowned, "My father owns almost every port in the Caribbean."

He glanced around, "Shenzie!" I spotted her across the deck in a blue dress that reminded me of a gypsy. Her eyes locked onto mine immediately, and a gruesome frown spread on her purple stained lips. "Aye, Cap'n Finn?"

Finn looked between us, "Whatever spite you two have, I'm sick of it. Put you're differences aside and this trip might go a lot smoother than it has already been." Shenzie ran a tanned hand through her white hair playing with some of the trinkets tied there. "Aye, Cap'n. If it so pleases ye."

Finn smiled triumphantly, "Now, take Ms. Lawrence below deck and see to it she has something to do until we reach port. Don't let her on deck until we have done so." She nodded and gripped my arm rather roughly pulling me below deck.

She pulled me deeper and deeper into the ship, and it became so dark she led the way with a lantern. "Where are we going, I've never been this far?" She glanced back flashing her glowing eyes, "To de cargo. I'm sure ye'll be plenty busy down dere."

"Is it because you're still angry with me? I really didn't mean to offend you." She smiled back at me, "Now why would I still be mad?" We stopped and she hung the lantern on a hook on the wall. She took a wick and began lighting other lanterns illuminating the vast cargo before us.

There were thousands of barrels with contents ranging from gun powder to pickles. On the far side, a rack stretched from the floor to the ceiling with varieties of rums and wine. On the opposite side of the cargo was a completely different scene. There were about ten cages set up with cots and buckets. A prison.

"Now. Cap'n wants ye busy. Start cleanin de holding cells and den make yer way ta dustin an separatin de rum from de wine. Have fun, Proper."

Yes. She was definitely still upset with me, but I never thought she would be this cruel about it. She left me to my work and I made my way over to the dingy cells with a mop and bucket. I began moving things out of the cells, and when I made it to the third one, I realized that it was locked.

I grabbed a lantern from the support beam and held it out to the darkness. There was a lump covered in blankets sitting in the corner as far away from me as possible. I hung the lantern on the cell, "Hello?" The lump jumped and peeked their eyes out at me. A child.

"It's okay, I'm not here to hurt you." The child lowered the blankets allowing me to look closer. It was a pale young boy of about twelve years. His eyes were a frosty blue, but his hair was what shocked me. It was snowy white and seemed to have a life of its own, as it moved as though he were submerged under water.

"What's your name?" He looked down at his mud-caked hands, "A-Aaron." I smiled, "That's a lovely name, Aaron. My name is Casta." He looked up at me with mesmerizing eyes, "I admire that name." He smiled and I couldn't help but to grin back, "Why are you locked up?"

His frown returned, "I am not allowed to tell you. Captain Finn said not to speak to anyone. I am sorry, I cannot say further. Please, keep to your duty before we both get into trouble." I was stunned. Finn did this? To a child? I did as he asked and returned moping the cells except for his.