A new friend

Anthony Hopkins, everyone! He's coming as Bracken!

Captain Finn left the ship to take Aaron into the city. I wiped my eyes of the tears and began making plans, because I was tired of being weak and always needing to be saved; but if there's anywhere that will make me stronger, why not the impossible city?

I gathered what belongings I had and stuffed them in a satchel attached to my back and opened the door peeking out at the night air and empty deck. The men were still at the bars and brothels. Good. And Finn was nowhere to be seen either. Better.

I crossed the deck and into the dark streets. Where can I find somewhere to hide? I continued walking, and found Lady Luck's Tavern. I walked in and instantly spotted Finn with a group of men that looked like Aaron. Is that Aaron's people? I took a seat at the bar and made sure I wasn't noticeable.

The group led by Finn left the bar, and I let out a breath of relief. "What can I get ya, miss?" I looked up at the burly bartender. His long beard was white with a little black at the base, and he was built like a horse. "Rum please?" He smirked, "Are you sure? It looks like you've never picked up a drink in your short life, lass."

I shook my head, "I haven't. But from the way things have been going, I think it's time I did." The bartender grabbed a glass and filled it with bronze liquid and handed it to me with a smile. I picked up the shot glass and sipped it wincing at the bitter sweet taste. He laughed, "What did ye scrunch yer nose up for, lass? 'Twas just tea, ha! Ye really think I'd let ye drink just because yer feeling a little down? Ney, y' just need someone to talk to and something to soothe yer young soul."

I smiled, "You must have seen your fair share of wrecked girls then?" He shook his head, "Ney, I just have a daughter about yer age, and I'd expect someone to do the same for her. It's a shame to see young people turn to alcohol instead of human companionship when they feel down."

I downed the tea and laughed, "What's your name?" He smiled warmly, "Bracken. You?" he asked as he cleaned a glass. "Casta." He nodded, "So what's got ye down, Casta?" I told him everything. Being hated by my father, and even the issue with Shenzie.

Bracken laughed, "No wonder she was angry! She's something rare, but no siren. There's a difference ye know; between merfolk and sirens? Sirens have sharp teeth and they'll kill without a spot of remorse. Mermaids have more humanity, and would rather kill themselves if they had to kill a fly. That is, unless you really made them upset."

I spent hours and hours learning things from Bracken, but there was still one thing I wanted to know. "Can you teach me to fight?" It seemed to catch him off guard a bit, "No. But I can point ye in the right direction if yer serious about it. Why?" I smirked, "Because I'm going to beat Captain Finn at his own game. I want to learn to be a captain."

Bracken grinned with a deep laugh, "And that's what I like about ye, lass! That fire may have dimmed a bit, but it's coming back even brighter. Ye can use the guest room upstairs, but be ready before dawn to leave."