Hide and Seek

A knock sounded at the door of the room I was borrowing from Bracken. "Who is it?" Bracken's kind voice answered from the other side, "There's a very angry man downstairs looking for you. Ye wouldn't happen to know him?"

I grabbed a robe and opened the door. "You can't let him know I'm here. Lie or something, he's the one I was running from." Bracken frowned, "I can't lie to him, lass. Cursed, ye know. But if yer serious about running, there's a ladder outside the window."

He left to go downstairs, and I ran across the room to climb up the ladder and onto the roof. I hugged the concrete floor and listened to Finn scream at a man who didn't deserve it.

Glass broke, "Where is she, Bracken?! I know you can't lie!" More glass broke, "She wants nothing to do with ye, boy. Stop breaking my glass or I'll throw ye out." Well, he didn't lie, but if I didn't hide better,
Finn will have no problems finding me.

Something wooden broke and then something heavy was thrown into the street with a grunt. I peeked over the edge of the building careful not to show myself. Finn was sitting on the cobbled street with his head in his hands and hat on the ground beside him. Then, he locked onto me like a wolf would a sheep making me jump.

He stood to his feet and I quickly pulled the ladder up as he rounded the building. He grinned evilly and dropped his coat unfurling gigantic blackened wings with silver tips that gleamed in the moonlight.

With one pump, he landed on the roof with his wings extended in their full glory. "Come here." I shook my head, and his gaze turned beastly. "I said, come here, Casta."

I shook my head again as I steadied my shaking hands, "No." He growled, "What did you say?" I stood my ground, "I said no, Finn. I will not stay with a man who steals whatever he wants. Why would you even want me? I'm just a stupid girl who's been cooped up in a tower most of my life, and I wouldn't know how to live any other way. I'm not even that pretty. I can't take anymore lies."

His wings dropped to drag on the ground as he closed the space between us. "And you won't get any more. I didn't steal you, I just didn't want you upset with your father, and it was selfish. Please forgive my insolence."

I laughed, "And yet you don't sound sincere." I stepped away from him. Why would he care? I saw something in his eyes change. Was it sadness? Or pity, I thought. He grabbed my arms and pulled me closer. "I can't keep losing you, Casta. I guess you're starting to grow on me."

Before I could respond, he pressed his lips against my own and I froze. He released me and watched for whatever reaction he was expecting from me. "Forgive me?"